Retaining latch/clip broke off PCI-E slot. Will it be a problem?

tsuki2000

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I removed my GPU earlier to clean the fans, as I've done plenty of times before. But when I went to put it back in, I noticed that the little plastic latch thing had broken off the PCI-E slot. My GPU seemed plenty secure when I tightened the screws, but I just want to make sure that losing the little latch won't cause problems down the line.

EDIT: Decided to test it for science. Worst case scenario, I have an excuse to upgrade. Anyway, I put the case on its side and (carefully) tried to pull the far end of the GPU directly up. It's going anywhere unless I throw the case down a flight of stairs or something.

Just be careful when you tighten the bracket screw; make sure that the Graphics card is seated well and aligned well. Then there will be no problem. And, I don't see any need to remove the graphics card for normal computer cleaning using a can of compressed air.

I agree on NOT removing the card to clean. Here's my cleaning method:

1. Spray case fans from OUTSIDE quickly once per month

2. Open case every six months and spray all fans quickly with compressed air.
- also may vacuum at same time (carefully) but I don't touch electronic components. There are special vacuums for this but I've found no need for them.

It takes a LOT of dust buildup to make any noticeable difference. I could probably just leave my PC alone for two years if I wanted. On the other hand I've seen a lot of people break things.

Some guy even took his graphics card apart to clean it and it stopped working.

lightseeker

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
I'd suggest two purposes for the retaining latch:

(a) to reduce the displacement of the edge connector from the expansion slot, in case the expansion slot is facing downward
(b) to reduce the loosening of the edge farthest from the screw due to vibration of the cooling fan on the card

If anyone has a reference that explains why the latch was introduced, or some evolution of this purpose(s) over time, I'd like to know about them.

Cheers!

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Wow that sucks man.... Yes you should prob be ok, but I did the same thing on a Z87 EVGA board and guess what? It drove me crazy with my OCDness, I finally called their EVGAs CS and told them it just broke off with no fault of mine, when I was just pushing down normally and they RMA'ed it and sent me a new board!

It depends on how old your board is obviously - but since mine was only about 6 months old, I convinced them that I had only removed the card once after installation for an upgrade (which was a EVGA GTX 770 by chance), so that little piece should not have broken. They apparently agreed and I got my new board.

Worth a shot if youre worried about it and your board is still under warranty. Yes it required a re-installation of almost everything, but it gave me a chance to clean that case out good, and I also ended up buying a new PSU to replace that old Corsair TX 650.

But if youre cool with it, functionally I don't think its an issue as long as you tighten it down tight on the back end and don't move your case around or bump it. Your rig - your call.