Question Retrieving data from old IDE disk

Jun 30, 2024
I want to copy data from an old drive to a new PC with a Sabrent adapter.
I've got an old Western Digital WD4OO IDE drive.

The 40 pin connector of the far left.
The 10 pin (5 over 5) next (middle group) the jumper group
The 4 pin power connection on the far right.

This Drive was my ‘C’ drive (and only drive) in my old PC.
Therefore, I guess the jumper pins are setup for ‘master’ by default?
I only want to copy data from it to my Dell XPS windows 11 with SSD (C) and HHD (D) in use.
On this old IDE drive ‘jumper’ pin group, there is a white cap on the right most vertical pins (10 pin group)
This is the position it was in when I removed it from the old PC .
So, do I need to move it over ‘somewhere’ to a different jumper pin pair?
Would that be ‘slave’ mode’
And more important, how do I know which pins to put it on if I have to move it?

Solution
I would have thought that by default it would be on pins ‘5 to 6’ (master) since this is where the old OS is.
Nope, "cable select" means it will be master or slave based on where the drive is placed on the cable. Cable-free USB adapters are usually hardwired to be master only, so the other setting that would work would be master/single (no jumper), and not master with slave present.
WD400BB and JB always had the jumper locations described on the label, even if they didn't always include a handy diagram. Default is "cable select" so try that first. The wrong setting won't damage anything but the drive just won't be accessible.
s-l1600.jpg

Note if someone used drive overlay software to overcome the 34 or 137GB limit, that it may not be possible to read the data using a standard IDE controller.

Therefore, I guess the jumper pins are setup for ‘master’ by default?
I only want to copy data from it to my Dell XPS windows 11 with SSD (C) and HHD (D) in use.
Master or cable select works but here is a FYI I have did a lot of these IDE cable drives from Windows XP or Windows 7 days that once you get the NEW host computer to see the old hard drive you might get a pop up that says disk needs to be formatted.

Just go to your Windows 11 Disk Management and see if the old hard drive has a drive letter. If not just give it one and the content of the drive will than show up.

If you need to use Disk Management don't format it you are just giving it a drive letter. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: coh2000
Jun 30, 2024
I could post a photo of the label on the disk and one of the jumper pin group as is now but I don’t see where or how for me to do that on this website.

When I clicked on insert image, a pop-up windows wants me to enter a url.

How can I post a photo?

After looking at the label on the old disk, it says pins 1 to 2 is actually ‘cable select’,

After looking at the label on the old disk, it says pins 1 to 2 is actually ‘cable select’,
Yes, that is the same as the picture I posted above. See how much easier it is to read when they actually provide a diagram rather than text? In any case there were only three sets of jumper settings for WDC IDE drives ever, so you only need to go by the number of pins
wd-pata-jumpers.png

Jun 30, 2024
I’m no ‘hardware guy’ so please bear with me.

Here’s a photo of the jumper group.

Visible are 2 rows of 4 pins. (or 5 on each row?)

I suppose there is a pair of pins under that white cap too on the right?

This was how it was actually in the old PC.

This is to be an ‘external disk’ that I want to copy data from.

I don’t want my Windows 11 pro to think it is a boot or OS disk (but it does have the old Vista OS on it).

jl3DbxM.jpg

Question is:

Do I want the cap on ‘slave’ or ‘cable select’ pin pair?

It looks like the cap is currently from 1 to 2 (cable select) already.

Should I move it to ‘3 to 4’ (slave pins) ?

I have no idea.

I would have thought that by default it would be on pins ‘5 to 6’ (master) since this is where the old OS is.
MxgVyYr.jpg

Last edited:
This is to be an ‘external disk’ that I want to copy data from.

I don’t want my Windows 11 pro to think it is a boot or OS disk (but it does have the old Vista OS on it).
If you doing this externally than your windows 11 would be up and running already before you power up the old IDE drive. Some IDE external cadies might not read drive if set to slave.

Reactions: coh2000
Nope, "cable select" means it will be master or slave based on where the drive is placed on the cable. Cable-free USB adapters are usually hardwired to be master only, so the other setting that would work would be master/single (no jumper), and not master with slave present.

Reactions: stonecarver
Solution

TRENDING THREADS