[SOLVED] Retrieving data from SATA M.2 SSD housed in ALXUM enclosure

Jan 20, 2022
My HP 470 PROBOOK Laptop got badly damaged and so I removed the SSD -A San Disk M.2 SATA 256 gb
I installed it on an SSD enclosure and tried to recover the data to my new HP Envy -The new system recognises the SSD drive and it
shows the same amount of data in properties as when the old computer died .
However I can t find my old data on the SSD -just lots of programme files etc Very disappointing as I have lots of really important data on that SSD.
Most of the data on the old laptop was on files located on the desktop,which I know is not ideal,but it seems like a file format issue !
The old HP PROBOOK ran on Windows 7 and the new HP ENVY on Windows 10
HELP ! What do I do ???
Anyone who can help would really appreciate

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If it was on the desktop then it will be found in the USERS director on that drive under the username that was being used.

If the external drive is Z: and the user named Jim then you can find it in Z:\Users\Jim\Desktop

First you will need to Take Ownership of the folder or the drive (takes longer since it will need to own many more files) . I would suggest taking ownership of the entire Users folder in case data is spread across multiple accounts.

I add 'Take Ownership' to the rightclick menu and it works great.

popatim

Titan
If it was on the desktop then it will be found in the USERS director on that drive under the username that was being used.

If the external drive is Z: and the user named Jim then you can find it in Z:\Users\Jim\Desktop

First you will need to Take Ownership of the folder or the drive (takes longer since it will need to own many more files) . I would suggest taking ownership of the entire Users folder in case data is spread across multiple accounts.

Solution
Jan 20, 2022

Thanks so much for the prompt reply !
I m going to try to apply that to the registry on the host (new)computer and then apply it to the relevant folders(s)on the drives!!

Jan 20, 2022
Thanks so much for the prompt reply !
I m going to try to apply that to the registry on the host (new)computer and then apply it to the relevant folders(s)on the drives!!
It worked !!!That s brilliant !!!
Thank you so much!

The only problem now is that the external hard drive keeps turning off mid transfer -Very annoying and I can t alter power setting for Hard Disk in control panel!!