News Retro Gaming Face-Off: Raspberry Pi vs PC vs Retro Minis

Druid kern

Prominent
Jun 12, 2021
Should have included Android 10 for this article. My Samsung Tab A 10.1 2019 tablet emulates Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Sega cd, and more game consoles really well, most games I get a solid 60fps. My old rebuilt Asus A7800 pc with 16gb of ram with Nvidia GeForce 1060 could barely run Dreamcast and Sega Saturn emulators. When it comes to emulating games my tablet is great!

Jun 19, 2021
Emm....15-26fps for Super Mario 64 on a Pi 4?? Realy??? I've had that game running full speed on a Pi 2. The author must have no clue about RetroPie. Probably didnt try out the various emulators that they offer and thus not representing the Pi 4 properly. Shambles, Mr Author.

Also regarding setting up the controllers, you do that once and then that pad is set up for ALL the libertro emulators in one go. No need to set up the same controller for each individual emulator...unless its a standalone emulator that isnt libertro, which there aren't too many on the Pi 4.

___

My old rebuilt Asus A7800 pc with 16gb of ram with Nvidia GeForce 1060 could barely run Dreamcast and Sega Saturn emulators. When it comes to emulating games my tablet is great!

Really? My Pi 4 can emulate most Dreamcast games really well using Redream. What kind of processor did your PC have??

Reactions: bloodroses
The author didn't price in his "AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, AMD Radeon RX 5500 graphics, and 2x 8GB DDR4 Ballistix 3600 MHz."
Then the other systems would be the Winner!
I have set up my old g1820 without any extra GPU with recalbox and it runs everything up to and including wii and gamecube, dreamcast and saturn.
You probably can't go too high on resolution and effects but I'm using an old 4:3 monitor anyway for more authenticity so I don't mind that.

Point being, just because he had an expensive system at hand doesn't mean that you need an expensive system, the trick is to circumvent windows with batocera, lakka or recalbox.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The author didn't price in his "AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, AMD Radeon RX 5500 graphics, and 2x 8GB DDR4 Ballistix 3600 MHz."
Then the other systems would be the Winner!
This is very important, as there are two ways to play:
  • on your monitor or notebook (the cost is zero, you already have this)
  • on your living-room TV (you either need a long HDMI cable and wireless controllers, or a new PC, which will add cost and/or complexity)

Sorry, but the most cost-effective is the PC IF you play on it. To play on your TV, it's either the most expensive, or the hardest to set up.