News Retro Pocket 386 Win 95 laptop arrives for less than $200 — comes with 40MHz 386 SX processor, 8 MB RAM, and replaceable graphics

They should have used a 486 DX2 or better with 32MB RAM. Would have made that a vastly better retro system.
It's an upgrade from the pocket 8086 laptop, they had the 386 as a handheld weird little thing that made no sense whatsoever, in laptop form it's a little bit more appealing.
General PSA , these things have harvested CPUs in them, they should still last "forever" (if they lasted until now there is no killing them) , but people should be aware of it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bODiZ5bP84

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
They should have used a 486 DX2 or better with 32MB RAM. Would have made that a vastly better retro system.
I was going to comment that this visually reminds me a lot of the Toshiba Libretto, which is the first sub-notebook I ever saw. In fact, according to the Wikipedia page, the first version was actually a 486DX4-75!

Here's a slightly later model:
1280px-Libretto_70CT.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_Libretto
A guy I worked with actually bought one and it was roughly the size & shape of a VHS tape. On the longest axis, it was maybe an inch longer.

I was going to comment that this visually reminds me a lot of the Toshiba Libretto, which is the first sub-notebook I ever saw. In fact, according to the Wikipedia page, the first version was actually a 486DX4-75!
Here's a slightly later model:​
1280px-Libretto_70CT.jpg
A guy I worked with actually bought one and it was roughly the size & shape of a VHS tape. On the longest axis, it was maybe an inch longer.
My first personal desktop was powered by a 200MHz Pentium with 16MB RAM on Win 95 in 1996. Had a MASSIVE (for the time) 2.5GB HDD and a 2MB Video Card. Playing Duke 3D it was fine, but I-76 was hit and miss for framerates at 640x480 resolution. At that time 16MB was like 12GB RAM now. Would have been nice to have had 32MB.

Jun 21, 2024
i still have a old 486 dx2 66mhz somewhere at my parents. CPU - Board and Ram it was working but i guess now maybe the CPU and Ram will work, i need to find it ( probably my mother throw it away i wouldnt be surprise if she did )

Reactions: artk2219
i still have a old 486 dx2 66mhz somewhere at my parents. CPU - Board and Ram it was working but i guess now maybe the CPU and Ram will work, i need to find it ( probably my mother throw it away i wouldnt be surprise if she did )
I should have an old Cyrix PR-166+ somewhere. It was working before it was put into storage 20+ years ago. I've thought about turning that into a retro gaming system.

Geef

Distinguished
I remember in 1988 heading to my grandparent's place and seeing my grandpa using a 'laptop.' It was huge. Probably about 4 inches thick. I checked the date because he had just bought a new game to play on it called Ultima 5.

MarkHughes

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2015
Right up until 2005 I was using an Amiga as my main machine, So I kinda missed this era of PC, This kind of system would be quite interesting to me.

Kondamin

Great
Jun 12, 2024
would be nice if intel were to offer a retro tile that held a collection of all the cores that could be adressed by a virtual machine software

Dec 31, 2023
Right up until 2005 I was using an Amiga as my main machine, So I kinda missed this era of PC, This kind of system would be quite interesting to me.
So, for at least a decade longer than you should have been!

The Pentium was Commodore and Atari's coup de grace, and was the juncture in which the PC transitioned from the office to the home.

Sep 24, 2023
I should have an old Cyrix PR-166+ somewhere. It was working before it was put into storage 20+ years ago. I've thought about turning that into a retro gaming system.
I need to pull an old system out as well. It's a beastly Gateway P4 w/HT @ 2.66GhZ. In another box, I have the most powerful consumer AGP card ever made (to my knowledge): a rare AGP Radeon HD3850. I've never used it because I got it long after I had moved on to PCIE systems.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
The Pocket 386 will initially ship with Windows 3.11, but you could ask DZT’s Store, the seller of this retro notebook, for a Windows 95 GHO file to upgrade your system
Just curious about the legalities of this. Is MS actually still offering licences for MS-DOS, Win3.1, and Win95?

Reactions: bit_user

Pemalite

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
Wish it had something like a Pentium 2/3 with 128MB of Ram and a decent GPU, then I would bite.

I want to be able to run games like StarCraft, Dune, Dark Reign, Diablo 2, Total Annihilation, Mechwarrior 2, Descent 2, Quake 2, Unreal, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Dungeon Keeper, Age of Empires 2, The Settlers, Civilization, Master of Orion 2 and more... And if I could run games like Sacrifice, Giants: Citizens Kabuto, Evolva, Black and White, Homeworld... Then that would be a massive bonus.

Reactions: bit_user
Sure there is emulation but, I mean a modern cpu has a transistor count in the billions where a 486 is a couple of tens of thousands
No company is going to hard wire old cpu cores into their modern CPUs, that's just not happening. Also all modern CPUs have full support for all the old commands so there is no reason to, the only thing there is to do is to limit the IPC and cache and so on.

MarkHughes

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2015
So, for at least a decade longer than you should have been!

The Pentium was Commodore and Atari's coup de grace, and was the juncture in which the PC transitioned from the office to the home.
Depends on what you mean by "should" as it still worked perfectly and did everything I wanted, And indeed it still does as I still have it and use it.

In fact the only reason I bought a PC at that time was because I wanted to play World of Warcraft.

So yea, For people like me a system like the one in the article would fill in some gaps :)

Wish it had something like a Pentium 2/3 with 128MB of Ram and a decent GPU, then I would bite.

I want to be able to run games like StarCraft, Dune, Dark Reign, Diablo 2, Total Annihilation, Mechwarrior 2, Descent 2, Quake 2, Unreal, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Dungeon Keeper, Age of Empires 2, The Settlers, Civilization, Master of Orion 2 and more... And if I could run games like Sacrifice, Giants: Citizens Kabuto, Evolva, Black and White, Homeworld... Then that would be a massive bonus.
You could try making a Virtual Machine with Win 98 or ME.