Question Reuse 2 SSD's

dberryco

Reputable
Sep 18, 2018
I upgraded 2 laptops with a 1TB WD PCIE4 SSD. I later realized the laptop M.2 slots were PCIE3 and I wasted a nice chunk of money. I'm going to replace the drives with older cheaper ones since the laptop can't use the higher bandwidth. My gaming PC only supports PCIE3. Will an aftermarket PCIE adapter card allow me to use the full potential of the drives?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no it will not. if your mobo only has pcie 3, then that is all the speed it can do. an adapter card would be limited to the slot it is in which would still be 3.0 speeds.

it won't damage the drives to use them on a 3.0 slot and honestly, the real world difference is the non-existant. you won't notice the difference if you had a 4.0 slot to put them in. other than you spent more than needed, there is no real reason to go out of your way to use them. the laptops don't need new drives unless you just want to in an effort to use the drives elsewhere.

Reactions: dberryco

dberryco

Reputable
Sep 18, 2018
no it will not. if your mobo only has pcie 3, then that is all the speed it can do. an adapter card would be limited to the slot it is in which would still be 3.0 speeds.

it won't damage the drives to use them on a 3.0 slot and honestly, the real world difference is the non-existant. you won't notice the difference if you had a 4.0 slot to put them in. other than you spent more than needed, there is no real reason to go out of your way to use them. the laptops don't need new drives unless you just want to in an effort to use the drives elsewhere.

Thanks.

That was what I was afraid of. My 4 year old PC (top of the line then,) compares favorably to today's PC's except for the graphics card. Upgrading the CPU and MB just for PCIE4 doesn't make sense.
Perhaps my next PC will have PCIE4.