[SOLVED] Reuse the disk of a "dead" HDD ?

Apr 11, 2020
Hi everyone !

I had an issue with my HHD (Touro MX3 500GB), the head can't reach the disk, it just hit the border and goes back to its initial position. I think it's the head that has the problem.

So I was wondering if I could take the disk out and put it on another hard drive that doesn't have a disk or just some type of disk reader ? Do I need to have the exact same model for the hard drive ? (the same size 2.5") And what type of disk reader ? (if there is some)

Thank's and have a good day !

Solution
A 500gb HDD costs some $10 on ebay.
It is time to move on.

If you have irreplaceable data on the drive, there are data recovery outfits that can do the job, but they are very expensive.
Go on google and type "HDD data recovery clean room" and look at what kind of stuff you need to just open an HDD without any dust particles to go inside the drive and just ruin it the next time it runs.

Opening the drive without being in a room like that and trying to change a platter from one to another HDD is not something simple. People who do this have a lot of experience and they can't even do client's job unless they tried a few hundred times just to get the experience doing a job like this.

So to answer your question. It's doable just not for you or me unless you did this a lot of time before and you have a lab like that in your home.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi everyone !

I had an issue with my HHD (Touro MX3 500GB), the head can't reach the disk, it just hit the border and goes back to its initial position. I think it's the head that has the problem.

So I was wondering if I could take the disk out and put it on another hard drive that doesn't have a disk or just some type of disk reader ? Do I need to have the exact same model for the hard drive ? (the same size 2.5") And what type of disk reader ? (if there is some)

Thank's and have a good day !
Unless you have a clean room (or booth), the required tools for head manipulation, and the skill to do this.....No, you cannot.

I want to put a perspective on this:

Say our sun get Supernova (ok, won't happen, but just imagine it happens anyway), all life on earth is wiped out during some few hours.

In a little bigger forum where the gods writes down their problem, one says:
"awh, sh*t happens, earth is going broken let's make life there again, Can I just move earth to another star and hope it all fix itself?"