Reusing a hard drive windows 7

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I want to reuse my current HD with a OEM copy of windows 7 (compaq) on a computer that i am planning to build. I want to use a MSI mobo, and i understand that the HD is tied to the mobo most of the time. What can i do to reuse the HD and Windows 7 WITHOUT :pt1cable: REINSTALLING?

Solution

You shouldn't lose anything, but I would backup key files, just in case (this is a good thing to do regardless). Yes, move your HDD into the new config, then reboot the system. If all goes well, Win 7 will detect the changes in hardware and then force you to re-activate once booted.

What make and model of motherboard are you currently using and plan on using?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Technically, the OEM license is tied to the original mobo and using with another install is a violation of the license. However, MS is usually pretty good with allowing you to reuse your OEM license as long as you only use once. The only legal thing you can do is to move the HDD into the new config and then re-activate the software. You will likely have to use the manual method (call MS, the info will be provided).

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This will likely require you to re-activate as previously indicated. Good luck!

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Ok, since I usually need very precise instructions (sorry if im a noob) but let me get this all straight. I have to move the HDD to the new computer, then i turn on the computer and THEN call microsoft to re-activate it? Also, will i lose my files ,games and such? (Reinstalling EVERYTHING is a pain, i've had to do it twice already)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You shouldn't lose anything, but I would backup key files, just in case (this is a good thing to do regardless). Yes, move your HDD into the new config, then reboot the system. If all goes well, Win 7 will detect the changes in hardware and then force you to re-activate once booted.

What make and model of motherboard are you currently using and plan on using?

Solution

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

KK thanks: this is the mobo i'm using, due to budget constraints:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131637

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Not a bad mobo. What are you using now? The more similar systems are, when you move them as you are, the better it usually goes. For example, if your current system is AMD based and uses a Nvidia chipset it should be a smoother transition.

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

My current mobo is a Pegatron (which i understand is a OEM ASUS division) NARRA 5, and it does have a Nvidia chipset and a AM2+ slot, so i think it will work, and also, will re liscensing windows cost anything?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You should be fine, at worst, you'll have to re-activate the manual way. Not a big deal (and you should not have to buy a new license).

TyphX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks, if there's anything else i should know tell me within the next 2 days, cause i'm gonna close this soon, thanks for the help!