[SOLVED] Reusing old secondary hdd

Derick0

Commendable
Mar 25, 2017
If I put my old hdd that I used as a secondary drive for games to be installed into my new pc will I have any problems or will everything I installed be shown as it was?

Solution
I assume you mean if you put an old hdd into a freshly installed Win 10 build then it depends, if the games were installed via a launcher like steam or uplay then no it will not just open up. You can try to install it through steam again and try to link it to the directory the game is already in, that way it'll identify the game files and not install it all over again.

Or if it's a stand-alone game that does not require installation then you should be fine. But any games that required a formal installation will not run without special configuration or at all.

This is because when a game installs it writes certain information to windows registry that tells windows where to search for those specific files. Without this windows won't...
I assume you mean if you put an old hdd into a freshly installed Win 10 build then it depends, if the games were installed via a launcher like steam or uplay then no it will not just open up. You can try to install it through steam again and try to link it to the directory the game is already in, that way it'll identify the game files and not install it all over again.

Or if it's a stand-alone game that does not require installation then you should be fine. But any games that required a formal installation will not run without special configuration or at all.

This is because when a game installs it writes certain information to windows registry that tells windows where to search for those specific files. Without this windows won't know what to do with the files.

Reactions: Derick0
Solution