Reversing File Names?

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
My dad downloads lots of music and he asked me if there is a way to reverse the names of the songs.

Example:
1. Eminem-Not Afraid
To
2.Not Afraid-Eminem

I didn't think there was a program that could do it.

He has like 500+ songs he wants to rename and manually doing it would be annoying.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Solution

There is no automatic way to make crappy file management even crappier.
With a library over 200GB.... I found that it was the mouse that slowed me down. 500 tracks is like 30-40 albums/directories? Learn the keyboard shortcuts for creating and navigating directories. It will save a ton of time by not touching the mouse.

McHenryB

Admirable
If it was me I would write a quick-and-dirty Perl program to do the job. But, asuming that you and your Dad don't know Perl, have a look at this program: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php It may take a little experimentation, and you'll need to read the manual, but I believe that it can do the job.

Having said that, I agree with USAFRet; this is not a logical way of tackling the problem. I always store music files in nested folders - one folder per artist and then, under that, one folder per album.

PS Section 3.9 of the manual gives an example of doing almost exactly what you want (not quite but very near). I'm sure that with a little thought it could easily be adapted to your case.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah, I know it's just he wants it that way I guess.

He tried explaining it a little better to me and he said something more like

"I downloaded the Top 500 Rock Songs and the way the man named the files was odd so he wants to change it without going through 500 songs :/"

Having gone through similar scenarios when creating lists for all the songs used in my old DJ business, I can pretty well assure you there is no method for batch renaming those in reverse order. I had to manually rename every song since I wanted the name and artist to remain in the filename. Over 35,000 of them, way over. It took months. Had to do the same thing for my karaoke files as well. Another 20,000. I'd recommend just leaving them as is unless you want to spend a few hours each night renaming.

The only problem with this is that you're likely to find a lot of them have had the id3 data stripped or never had it to start with.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.