[SOLVED] Reverting back to Windows 10 with Windows 11 Digital License ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2019
Windows 11 requires tons of adjustments, so I would like to go back to Windows 10.

After installing Windows 11 I created a Local Account, signed in on Microsoft Store and purchased a Windows 11 Home (Well it said Windows 10/11 Home).

After purchasing I received an E-mail. "Your Microsoft order #ORDERNUMBER has been processed".
The Microsoft Account I purchased the Windows 10/11 Home is also visible on Order History.
On Windows 11 Settings - System - Activation - It clearly says: "Windows is activated with a digital license ".

So what I would like to know if I do the following.

I do a fresh install on my computer with Windows 10. I create a Local Account. Can activate Windows 10 with the very Microsoft Account I purchased Windows 11 via Microsoft Store by simply signing in?

I figured since that license is digital it should be connected to the Microsoft Account so I somehow sign in AND maintain my Local Account is that possible?

Solution
i think if the licence is win 10 & 11, you should perhaps go to settings/update & recovery/activation and link to the account from there.

On Windows 11 Settings - System - Activation - It clearly says: "Windows is activated with a digital license ".
that means its not linked to a Microsoft Account, but instead to the PC.

Its possible windows would just auto activate once you hit desktop with this set up, I am unsure as its unusual to go backwards from 11 to 10 without 10 previously being on PC. If PC already has had Win 10 on it, you should have already had a licence.

You might find it safer to link it to an MSA - see below link...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think if the licence is win 10 & 11, you should perhaps go to settings/update & recovery/activation and link to the account from there.

Its possible windows would just auto activate once you hit desktop with this set up, I am unsure as its unusual to go backwards from 11 to 10 without 10 previously being on PC. If PC already has had Win 10 on it, you should have already had a licence.

You might find it safer to link it to an MSA - see below link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665#ID0EBD=Windows_10

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution
Jun 12, 2019

You might find it safer to link it to an MSA - see below link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665#ID0EBD=Windows_10

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Hello Colif

I appreciate your response. Thank you very much for the first link, that one very helpful. Helped me settled things.

My Plan:
Currently I have a Local Account.

Under Activation it says: Windows is activated with digital license. And like you and the link says it means it is NOT tied to the Microsoft Account.

So in "Your Info" there's a account settings section with "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" I clicked that, type in that Windows Hello Pin.

I go to System - Activation is says: This means that your Microsoft account is already linked to your digital license.

-----------

So from there really. I can boot from a USB Flash Drive with Windows 10 on it, install the OS. create an local account and then sign in with Microsoft Account or Windows Hello Pin and I should have an activated Windows 10.

Right :p?

Jun 12, 2019
That should work, if you have any problems, just come back and ask in this thread:)

Reporting back. I managed to install Windows 10 and I did it with no internet. Created and local account and naturally on the Activation section it said was wasn't active.
Plugging the ethernet cable makes it say: Windows is activated with a digital license

and when connecting it with Microsoft Account it will say: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account

Mind you it's the exact same hardware. Nothing has changed.

It's bit of a twins peak for me lol. If I make a new computer and I want to move this current license, hooking it to Microsoft Account links it. Then it's safe and sound to move.

Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.