Question Reverting Surface tablet back to Windows 8?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys, i created the boot usb flash drive in Rufus as pictured below but it doesn't light up when I insert it into the hub or directly into the device's usb slot. Might there be something I should be adjusting in the device's settings as shown in my previous screenshots please in order for the flash drive to boot?

boot.png

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
It's ok guys, I figure it out how to get it to boot but 2nd screen is asking for the product key before it will install. I am seeing different versions online like Professional, standard and enterpise, should a 'Standard' key be the one I should purchase please?

If yes, that Standard 32/64 bit version in lower picture is expensive at 37 dollars so would I be able to use the Professional version key or would it need to be the Standard only?

key.jpg

keys.png

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
What specific version of Windows 8 did this ship with originally. The key should be encoded in the BIOS and ONLY that version will install without issues. Anything else strays into forbidden territory here.
1st screenshot below shows the version I had created the iso from. Next 2 shows the only related setting in Bios as I am seeing?

win8-iso.png

settings.jpg

settings2.jpg

That says nothing about what originally shipped with the unit. You need the exact version that actually came preinstalled. This is likely OEM which is only available from the manufacturer (not Microsoft). If you wish to install anything else you will require the key.

Reactions: mikehende

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
That says nothing about what originally shipped with the unit. You need the exact version that actually came preinstalled. This is likely OEM which is only available from the manufacturer (not Microsoft). If you wish to install anything else you will require the key.
So my only option will be to contact MS which is impossible to get tech support from them?

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Microsoft dropped support years ago and won't talk to you at all. If you don't have the original CD/DVD for that unit then you're out of luck without a valid license key. Those 4 or 5$ keys are NOT valid.
Hmnn, so now I have to go back to and settle for only win10 again. If I were to reinstall win 10 now again, will I need to get a product key for it?

Ok guys, can you advise on the best windows 10 version for this specific device please and I will purchase a key for it?
You had Windows 10 Pro on this device before.
Windows 10 Pro - is the appropriate choice.
It should activate without a problem, if it was activated before reinstall.
No need to get a new key.

You should have installed windows 8 pro (not windows 8 standard).
It probably would have taken windows key from BIOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikehende