Review my build, advice please - comments and suggestions appreciated

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hello-

I'm building a mostly brand new system. I am hoping that the forum can look at the components below and let me know what they think. I want to make sure everything is compatible and that I'm getting decent quality components for the money. I put the reasons for my choices, which admittedly may be flawed and need to be "corrected."

Per the sticky on the top of this section of the forum:
Likely not going to overclock
Used for gaming
purchasing components in next week or so
Monitor resolution 2560 x 1600
Not going to SLI or Xfire right now
Will be a Windows 10 machine

Video Card
Radeon Dual-X R9 280X
(already own it, going to keep using it for now, will get something better shortly)

Motherboard
ASRock X99 Extreme 4 ATX
$170 after rebate at NewEgg
Was torn between this and the MSI x99A SLI Plus ATX when they were around the same price, but now the ASRock board is a lot cheaper this week. Definitely want a MB compatible with the M.2 SSDs.
Looking to spend around $200 on the MB. Open to different ideas

Processor
Intel i7-5820K
$389
5 out of 5 eggs on NewEgg
Seems like a sweet spot for price vs. performance in my $400-ish price range

Solid State Drive (boot drive)
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal SSD
$182
***I had never even heard of this type of drive until I started researching this build. Seems blazing fast, and compatible with my MB choices. Any comments about this type of drive appreciated.

RAM
What's the difference between these 3??? All cost about the same for 16GB @ $100-ish and have similar reviews:

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-16GVR

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZB

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR

Which RAM?

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 80+ Gold
$99
Seems to be highly recommended on various on-line reviews
LOTS of positive reviews on NewEgg and Amazon
Fully Modular
***Should I pay the 15 bucks extra for the 850W, same make/model? Seems like overkill.

Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
$99
Lots of positive reviews on this Phanteks case
Not looking to spend a lot on the case. It just sits under my desk. $100-ish budget. Want something easy to work with, attach components to, etc. The other choices are below. Not sure which I'd be better off with. Just want an ATX case with a little bit of style.
Also open to:
Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming
NZXT Phanton

DVD/Blu Ray Burner
LG Black 16X BD-R BD-RE
$52
One of the more highly rated Blu Ray burners on NewEgg

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Um... R9 280X for 2K?!!!

Don't get Haswell-E if you can't afford it without getting this bad of an imbalance. It's not going to readily do 2K anytime. Getting i7-5820K is actually worse by ~5% because it has a slower clock.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well, it's pretty overkill for that gpu. But if you're trying to build a future proof build and plan on upgrading your gpu in the future (maybe waiting for next gen from Nvidia/AMD?), it looks ok to me. But if the cost of this build is going to hold you back from getting a new graphics card in the next while, I'd settle with something like a 6600k + Z170 mobo.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

I'm "only" spending around $1000 : )

I am going to replace the video card with something much better eventually. I'm just not gaming right now, but certainly will be again shortly. Figured I wait on the GPU purchase until I'm ready to get started again.

Not sure what you mean about the ~5% slower clock as I don't understand clock speeds and the relationship between the components.

Oh... $1000 right now and upgrade GPU later. I guess that makes sense...

As for clock speed, that means it'll be slower than conventional i5s and i7s. The i5 and i7 is faster because of the I.... Wait. You don't understand any of this... Never mind. Just start watching Tech Quickie.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Definitely upgrading the GPU in the future. Just not playing much right now but will pick something up when I get going again. Thanks for the heads up TJ and okcnaline!