Revisiting Your Childhood: Jagex Making Runescape 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Kinda surprised I saw an article about RS on Toms..This game is a dying franchise.[/citation]

You'd be surprised. It's remained very constant in regards to the amount of players still active.

[citation][nom]buckcm[/nom]And the botting continues.[/citation]
Botting has been virtually eradicated - Jagex unlike many other MMO creators actually made it a priority. They constantly improve their system too.

Back on-topic, can't wait. They've kept the game going for 10+ years with constant content updates.
Perhaps I'll become active again when RS 3 comes around.

JJ1217

Honorable
Ah yes I remember this game after a long time. I remember as a kid sneaking around the house at night time so I could play it, as my Dad only allowed me to play 2 hours a week hahaha.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
god... played the game when it came out.
made a powerfull character
got full ruin armor
got it all stolen and every item i amassed was dropped
never felt like playing the game again.

tried comeing back a few years after that
new character... but just could never get into the game that was more of a grind then everquests AA system.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I've played Runescape off and on since 2004 when a friend in high school told me about it. It was alot of fun. My first MMO. I haven't played since August. Looks like I might be playing again this summer, get a few more 99's.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]You'd be surprised. It's remained very constant in regards to the amount of players still active.Botting has been virtually eradicated - Jagex unlike many other MMO creators actually made it a priority. They constantly improve their system too.Back on-topic, can't wait. They've kept the game going for 10+ years with constant content updates.Perhaps I'll become active again when RS 3 comes around.[/citation]

I'm off topic? Runescape is a grindfest, and there will be botting in the next game like there has been in Runescape for years. Botting makes Jagex money, and I really wonder what their intentions are with bots. They can't try too hard because bots make them a lot of money. Botting is still going strong, and plenty of people go unbanned.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]I used to play this when I was younger, it was one of my favorite memories, but the game has changed now; not for the better either.[/citation]
For me, the game went downhill after Jagex sold out to the US. I was pretty much done after that.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]You'd be surprised. It's remained very constant in regards to the amount of players still active.Botting has been virtually eradicated - Jagex unlike many other MMO creators actually made it a priority. They constantly improve their system too.Back on-topic, can't wait. They've kept the game going for 10+ years with constant content updates.Perhaps I'll become active again when RS 3 comes around.[/citation]

The botting only stopped when they limited the trading between players. They have long since removed those limitations as well as completely changed the combat system to be a cookie cutter version of World of Warcraft and Everquest turning Runescape into a button masher style rpg with weaker graphics then the mmo's they are trying to copy with the new system.

The game is going down hill for various reasons as well. I played RS since the old RS classic was RS. And returned to it several times over the years. But when they decided to completely gut the combat system to me it was the final straw and as such i have completely stopped playing. Imagine the combat where you have to button mash while clicking the screen for your character to move and you have what the new RS combat system is in a nut shell.

A shame to as i loved RS and i have fond memories of playing it and the many friends i made over the years. But Jagex has burned a bridge with me over this. They have since then opened a server with content up to 2007 RS. But i would rather back a company that respects and listens to its customers from the start and not treat them as an after thought. So they lost me permanently as a customer. As i am sure others have left as well.

It just shows that a great concept can be destroyed by the company. If you try to fix some thing that is not broken to begin with expect it to break. In this case it alienated many players that loved RS because of its unique battle system. But that is my opinion as a RS player for over 11 years.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I remember playing in 2002 in what is NOW called "classic" I still have all of my accounts. I disliked the graphics update that made the game Runescape 2 (they don't call it that now because its the main game)

randomizer

Champion
I log in once a year to see what has changed, and it always looks more or less the same. I couldn't be bothered playing it that's for sure. Work is enough of a grind - I don't want to grind for entertainment.

brazuka331

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Just started playing Old School Runescape again, Its a server from 2007 and everyone starts from zero. Also players get to vote on what updates we want. Give it a try, if you liked to runescape from mid 2000s

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
RWT in RS, for lack of a better term. That's where I draw my line in the sand. By that I am referring to Jagex selling items on their site for real $ that are not obtainable by playing the game normally itself. Somewhere in there they decided to throw in some corporate greed into the equation.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]NaThRo[/nom]Gosh, I didn't think I was that old... my "MMO career" started with UO in '97...[/citation]
I hear you. I put way too much time into that game and in Everquest before I managed to kick the MMO bug. Haven't found another MMO that was as much fun since then.

jardows

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
I've been playing RS for about 5 years now, and actually happen to like most of the updates and changes to the game. Never could get into any other MMO. For those complaining about bots, you obviously haven't been playing lately, as the botting has been reduced to practically nil.

The move away from Java to HTML5 and WebGL is most welcome!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
revisiting the Runescape of your childhood

Runescape is 10 years old. I don't think that line is very accurate unless your average reader is 18. That would explain a lot of the "can it play crysis" and "iphone users suck" comments though...

Draeg

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Runescape is 10 years old. I don't think that line is very accurate unless your average reader is 18. That would explain a lot of the "can it play crysis" and "iphone users suck" comments though...[/citation]

They said preteen in the article, so the average age is more like 21-23. Regardless, what do you expect from a tech website? That seems like a normal average age for something like this, and besides, how is it immature to say "Can it run Crysis"? Crysis is still a benchmarking tool for the best graphics cards.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Runescape is 10 years old. I don't think that line is very accurate unless your average reader is 18. That would explain a lot of the "can it play crysis" and "iphone users suck" comments though...[/citation]

Actually its over 10 years old. And there were not a lot of players when it first started. It received a big jump in population with the rs2 remodel but it did not really jump in large amounts until it was advertised on miniclip.

The average age group being 12+ year olds even 11 years ago starting at 12 you would be 23 years old today. so for some it is a throw back to child hood. That is just one example of age wise i'm sure many others can be shown and pointed out. Many kids got their start with RS in the past few years with PC's being more available in schools. So thats a factor as well.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Yeah, I used to play that game... I didn't particularly care for all the changes - I liked how it used to be, but that's progress I guess... what really killed it for me, though, was their micro-transaction flip-flop. After having trading in-game items for real-world money be a bannable offense for many, many years, they suddenly removed that rule and opened up a cheat-shop of their own. Disgusting. Doesn't help that their cheat-shop only sells "gamble chances" and doesn't require credit card verification at all... do you have any idea how many kids pay for the game with their parents' cards? And they can simply spend $200 at a time without verification?
I wish I could say otherwise, but I hope that RS3 fails miserably. I know it's just business, but I can't stand such an amoral company.

Status
Not open for further replies.