Question Reviving / modernizing my old Asus VX7

Jul 10, 2023
The old Asus VX7 Lamborghini is still a lovely designed Laptop - even though it is not really a "laptop" due to its size and weight. However, besides the design, the VX7 has a real crisp monitor which can still compete with the modern hardware.

For a few years, I've been thinking on how to modernize this beautiful old laptop since there is no easy upgrade. There are no modern laptop motherboards that will interface with the old hardware. I was stuck until I found this article: https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-USB-Laptop-Keyboard-Controller/

If I manage to convert this old laptop into a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse), I'd be half way there: The most important step was actually quite easy, I found a video controller board (B156HW01 v.5) for under €30 online. Thus, I was able to run the monitor with any kind of graphic input.

Next was the keyboard: in the article mentioned above, they rely heavily on the Teensy LC board, which can't be found anymore. The newer Teensy 4 boards are too pricey. I manged to find a Teensy 2.0 board, for which there is no support in the above article. I will make a separate post on the keyboard and how to get it to work as a USB keyboard soon.

The touchpad of the VX7 is very complicated since it is combined with the four status LEDs. But since it isn't supporting multitouch, I ordered an inexpensive external USB multitouch touchpad. I will have to figure out on how to replace the original with this one.

Finally, the webcam and the SD-card reader are already USB, I will just have to figure out the wiring. I have an old 4 port USB 2 hub which I intend to use to combine keyboard, keypad, webcam and SD-card reader.

If I get to this stage, I will have all the hardware useable for a modern single board computer. To assemble it into the old shell, I will have to Dremel cut all the internals plus the sides with the connectors from the housing. To reassemble the laptop, I want to 3D print new parts to integrate the new boards inside the housing and adapt the sides for the new ports.

Even if this sound quite easy, it will be a lengthy and quite complex process which will take me months since I have lots of other things to worry about.

Finally, there is the big question of which single board computer to choose: I kind of like the idea to get a LattePanda Sigma, which has for €575 a real good computing power: 13th gen Intel Core i5-1340P, 16 GB LPDDR5- 6400 RAM, 2 x 2.5 GB Ethernet, 4 x M.2 key, HDMI 2.1, 2 x thunderbolt 4, 2 x USB 3.2 gen 2 and 2 x USB 2. I could run Ubuntu and W11 in dual boot without any worries. Thus, for some DIY and under €700 I would have a kind of brand-new laptop.

What do you think? Which single board computer would you suggest? And finally, do you want me to share the experience?

Kindly BeePee

USAFRet

Titan
After doing all that, especially the "I will have to Dremel cut all the internals plus the sides with the connectors from the housing", how much of this "beautiful old laptop" is actually left?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That thing is absolutely cheese-tastic.

IMO, take out the main operating battery, remove the CMOS battery and put this up somewhere safe for a point in time later that it 'might' become collectible.

Jul 10, 2023
I can understand you guys but what do I do with this old laptop waiting to maybe become collectible. It only takes space and collects dust. For me it is much better to give it a new life and a new purpose.

The LattePanda Sigma has arrived and I will try to do the entire modification by retaining the outside OEM with very few alterations. The new 'brain' will life somewhere in the centre thus I bought some extension cables for USB 2 and 3 (type A), the thunderbolt 4 (USB type C), etc. to extent those connections to the side of the laptop. It was quite difficult to find short male / female cables since most cables used are male / male...

On the left side the laptop has 2 USB type A ports plus the DVD drive. A stroke of luck: the DVD is SATA and the LattePanda Sigma has one SATA port. I want to connect the 2 type A ports on the left with the 2 USB 3.2 ports of the Sigma.

On the front left is the SD-card reader. I would like to replace it with a micro-SD card reader plus next to it one thunderbolt 4 port. They should fit in the original SD-card reader slot.

On the right side the laptop has headset and microphone ports which I will reuse, 2 USB type A ports which will become the USB 2.0 ports, HDMI port, VGA port, Ethernet port and the power-in port. The Ethernet and power-in ports will be reused, while the VGA port will become the second thunderbolt 4 port.

The LattePanda Sigma has a 40 pins eDP plug. I’m trying to find a cable that would fit. If so I could connect the monitor directly to the board without the need for a display controller board. This would free a lot of space inside the laptop but also the HDMI port which I would extent to the right side as well.

The keyboard remains the same but will be converted to USB. The main change will be the touchpad. The original never felt right. I purchased an external USB multitouch touchpad which I tore apart. I’ll try to use the visible parts of the old touchpad and the sensor, electronics and buttons of the new one.

As of today I haven't done any irreversible cutting – I’ll do that only once I’m 100% sure that everything will work.

Enclosed are a few pictures of the work.
1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
If you cut into the case, it will never be a "collectable".

It won't anyway, but that just lessens the possibility.

At best, it will become a one-off curiosity, valuable to you and you alone.

Jul 10, 2023
How to make the keyboard a USB keyboard:

I used this https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-USB-Laptop-Keyboard-Controller/ article and I’ll give my comments and alterations to the various steps.

Step 1: The VX7 keyboard has a 24 pins 1mm Pitch FPC cable.

Step 2: No modification needed

Steps 3 to 7: I had to take a different approach: the Teensy boards available were the new and quite expensive Teensy 4.1 and Teensy 4.0 or the Teensy 2.0 which I ordered for €16. None of those proposed connector boards would work plus to get just a single board made is very expensive.

Thus I ordered for €5.48 2 “FFC FPC 24 Pin 0.5mm 1mm Distance to DIP 2.0mm PCB Converter Board Couple Extend Adapter”. The keyboard FPC cable fits straight into that connector. (Plus it has 0.5mm pitch connector on the back side.)

Next I used an old IDE cable I had still laying around to harvest 24 little wires which I soldered to that PCB. I soldered the 24 wires to the Teensy 2.0 in the following order from 1 to 24:

B0, F0, B1, F1, B2, F4, B3, F5, B7, F6, D0, F7, D1, B6, D2, B5, D3, B4, C6, D7, C7, E6, D5, D4.

kb.jpg

Step 8: I used Arduino 2.11which worked great for me. I used the “Matrix_Decoder_2pp.ino” which I modified to “Matrix_Decoder_2.ino”:

I replaced lines 39 – 41 with the following:

// Load an array with the Teensy 2.0 I/O numbers that correspond to FPC pins 1 thru 24.

int con_pin[] = {PIN_B0, PIN_F0, PIN_B1, PIN_F1, PIN_B2, PIN_F4, PIN_B3, PIN_F5, PIN_B7, PIN_F6, PIN_D0, PIN_F7, PIN_D1, PIN_B6, PIN_D2, PIN_B5, PIN_D3, PIN_B4,

PIN_C6, PIN_D7, PIN_C7, PIN_E6, PIN_D5, PIN_D4};

plus set int max_pin = 24; in line 49.

Step 9: I used the Original Method but before that I did the following test: I opened a text editor blank page and connected the Teensy to the USB port of the PC without connecting the keyboard. I waited 20 seconds. Then I used a piece of cable to shorten 2 contacts each on the PCB board. Starting with 1 and 2 I went through all 24 contacts making sure that the numbers that appeared on screen corresponded with those contacts that I had shortened. Thus I made sure that my soldering corresponded correctly to the table of “Matrix_Decoder_2.ino”. I disconnected the Teensy from the PC and continued as per Step 9.

Steps 10 and 11: It worked very well for me. Just one remark: I have a German keyboard which has one additional key as compared to the normal US keyboard. However, I typed each key as if it were a US keyboard which is very important.

Steps 12 and 13: The resulting matrix:

3​
4​
6​
7​
9​
10​
12​
13​
1​
N​
J​
U​
7​
6​
H​
Y​
M​
2​
Pad -​
Pad /​
Pad 1​
Pad .​
Pad 3​
Pad +​
Pad 2​
C​
5​
Shift-L​
Shift-R​
8​
Alt-L​
Alt-R​
11​
Num Lock​
Pg-up​
Home​
Pad 7​
Pad 9​
GUI​
14​
Arrow-up​
;​
[​
P​
0​
-​
F12​
/​
15​
Z​
ESC​
W​
2​
S​
F2​
F1​
X​
16​
Pad 0​
A​
1​
´​
FN​
Tab​
Q​
17​
Space​
Pg-dn​
F3​
3​
Caps Lock​
E​
F4​
Pad Enter​
18​
Arrow-dn​
L​
F11​
9​
F10​
\​
O​
.​
19​
B​
F​
R​
4​
5​
G​
T​
V​
20​
Menu​
Arrow-L​
Addional​
Pad 8​
F9​
21​
Pad *​
K​
I​
8​
F5​
F7​
F6​
,​
22​
Ctrl-L​
Ctrl-R​
23​
Enter​
D​
]​
BS​
=​
Print​
End​
'​
24​
F8​
Pad 6​
Pad 5​
Pad 4​
DEL​
Arrow-R​
Pause​

Step 14: The extra test in Step 9 confirmed my translation table to the one defined in Steps 3 -7:

1=B0, 2=F0, 3=B1, 4=F1, 5=B2, 6=F4, 7=B3, 8=F5, 9=B7, 10=F6, 11=D0, 12=F7, 13=D1, 14=B6, 15=D2, 16=B5, 17=D3, 18=B4, 19=C6, 20=D7, 21=C7, 22=E6, 23=D5, 24=D4.

Step 15: I used one of the Teensy 2++ example of the “Sony_PCGK25_Keyboard_pp2p0.ino” as the base for the “VX7_Keyboard_2.ino” for the Teensy 2.0.

The only thing is that I haven't found a way to use the additional key of the German keyboard (yet).

The VX7_Keyboard_2.ino