[SOLVED] Reviving my PC (upgrading)

IReapeIN

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello community,
its finally happening im tired of lowballing with low settings in fps games to be able to have a staple fps running. Im looking forward to rebuilding my pc but thanks to my very little persisting knowledge in hardware I have come here.

Right now im sitting on an i5-4670k 3.4Ghz not oced, a palit super jetstream 980ti, Gigabyte Z87M-D3H and 8GB 1GX64 DDR3 1600 UDIMM 240-. I have now felt the lack of RAM for a really long time by not being able to have anything open except the game alone otherwise im experiencing performance issues. So because im not that educated in component compatibility i came here once again and seek wisdom from you gifted angels who always got your back in times of need.

Right now im willing to spend up to 1k€ but if there are cheaper solutions they are also welcomed. So basically im looking for an upgrade for Motherboard, CPU and RAM to for example rock that Blackout mode in neet graphics resolution while also maintaining a nice amount of FPS. I am also eyeballing to try out streaming in the near future considering the CPU and RAM necessary for that.

Thank you for putting your time and effort in this wonderful forum

Solution
Download Intel XTU and run a game in windowed mode. Watch the CPU temperature in XTU. If it gets to 100C it is throttling and downclocking. When a CPU gets to hot, it slows down to prevent damage. Therefore, when it slows down, you fps go way down.
Your current system is not that far behind. You should easily run 60fps at 1080p at high settings. So if your not getting that performance in gaming, then something is wrong with your rig.

If you are playing at 4k, then you may want something more than your 980ti. If you are at 4k, then look for a 1080ti. I would definitely recommend getting a 16gb RAM kit.

As for your CPU, I dont think there is a big enough performance improvement moving into a new platform, so I would look for a good deal on a used 4790k. The extra threads will come in handy for CPU heavy games and those threads will help if you want to stream.

You could get a 1080ti, 4790k, and 16gb of RAM for less than 1k and you would have a high end gaming rig.

IReapeIN

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
So right now im playing bo4 mostly. When playing blackout frames while shooting, skydiving, just anything that has to do with many particles the fps drops to 45 fps which is just a killer in fights. Despite having all setting on the lowest exept anti aliasing which almost doesnt affect my performance. So yeah id like to have around 150 staple all day with high to ultra resolution.

And could you show me where you find those 1080tis? All i can find cost one grand alone online

Are you playing at 1080p? If so, something is wrong with your rig. You should be getting better fps. BO4 is not a very demanding game. What are your CPU/GPU temps under load? Your system may be throttling.

Below is a link to a performance review and a 1060 is averaging 91fps. Your 980ti is better than a 1060.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-pc-performance-frame-rate-graphics

IReapeIN

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Yes im playing at 1080p everything set on very low though, getting in close quarter environment up to 140 fps while the GPU is at about steady 70C°. With the temperature of the CPU im not familiar.

IReapeIN

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Wow ok this finally unveils the mystery, the CPU was almost in the game menu at almost 100% Utilization and 100C°. And also the Thermal throtteling went on, so this basically means my CPU isnt putting out its supposed performance because it would be overheating? Max frequenzy used was 3.3 Ghz. So what would you recommend me doing with my CPU? Ive looked online and there was a guy selling his i7 4790k plus MSI Z97-G55 SLI Motherboard and 16Gb DDR3 RAM for 350€. Most ebay prices for the i7 alone are above that, but im not sure if thats a scam or not or should i take a further look?

Thank you so much so far for your work and patience