[SOLVED] rewired whole house in cat7/a

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Hello

So I am from the UK, and have Virgin Media broadband, sky TV.

I have the Hub 3 from virgin, and about 2 weeks ago, was on the 350mbps package. I am now on the 500Mbps.
About 3-4 weeks ago, I rewired my home, from cat5 to cat7a (and a small amount cat7 as I ran out of cat7a)

So, my router is downstairs under the stairs where the PC desk has always been. I have had an ethernet run from there, through the stairs, all the way to the corner of the house, straight up into a bedroom then ran along the house into my bedroom and around and up (so its now near central of the house) connected to the last generation of Apple's Airport Extreme. From the airport extreme I have a cat6 running from the Airport to under my TV, where I have a Ethernet gigabit switch, with one cable going to my Xbox 360, one to xbox one and one going to my TV which are cat7a

the other cable coming out of the airport extreme goes into my PC, again cat6.

I haven't checked the speed of the xbox 360, the tv gets good speeds (I can't remember exactly but I think 60mbps or 80.) my Xbox 0ne gets 480mbps again I am happy with that, but my PC gets 440mbps, not sure why its not faster can anyone shed any info as when Virgin release 1gbps I will be getting that for my PC mainly. I have 2 mini sky boxes upstairs, connected via ethernet cable (cat7a)

Downstairs, from the router, there is a cable running around the door, to where all my gadgets are, my AV receiver, xbox one S, my TV, My alexa flex, and my SKY main box all connected and split via a ethernet gigabit switch and a cable going to my airport express in the back of the house. All of these cables are new and cat7a except the cable from the router to the switch box

I made the ethernet cables using the RJ45 clips and cut the cables to length all made to the slandered cat7a except one cable from the router to the splitter box which is cat 7 which I still made. the speeds I get downstairs are 450-510ishmbps. The only 3 cables I didn't make, the cable from my airport extreme to PC, and airport extreme to the switch box.

What I want to know, is why do I get slower speeds for my PC than what is downstairs, is it due to the cable length even though its within length of drop off for cat 7a. do I need to restart any of my routers or airports?

Would my system benefit from virgin media's 1gig fiber?

Solution
"slow downloads" are also a product of where you get them.
You get whatever speed they choose to deliver it to you.

And they cannot max out everyones pipe at the same time.
If they are serving it to you at 100mbps....that is all you will get, no matter what your contract with the ISP is.

Where gigabit service would come into play is if you had 10 of those going at the same time.
On a 500mbps line, each of the 10 simultaneous systems might only see 50, instead of the potential 100.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. gigabit service from your ISP will run on Cat5e. There was probably no need for the 6-7/
  2. How many users are in the house? gigabit does not mean you get gigabit from all the servers you might connect to. Now....if there are many in the house, all doing network intensive stuff at the same time...that is what gigabit service is for. A smaller pipe from the ISP might get overwhelmed.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
its only my stuff that is heavy usage, rest of the family either just Facebook/YouTube watch main tv, prime or Netflix and the other adult in the house is my sister who is a paramedic again she uses the same data as my mum but is hardly here at the moment due to the pandemic, this leaves my 3 year old niece who really doesn't use anything

I have this weird thing about space (physical), storage (both technological and physical) and speed (technological )

USAFRet

Titan
its only my stuff that is heavy usage, rest of the family either just Facebook/YouTube watch main tv, prime or Netflix and the other adult in the house is my sister who is a paramedic again she uses the same data as my mum but is hardly here at the moment due to the pandemic, this leaves my 3 year old niece who really doesn't use anything

I have this weird thing about space (physical), storage (both technological and physical) and speed (technological )
I venture to say that gigabit service would be wasted, for that usage.

Have you seen any slowdowns with the 500mbps?

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
like I said before, (at least I think I did), my system was slow, would not download games fast enough, I only have a few at the moment, but I have a list of games I want to play (old ones for now, until the games I want are out).

Example of the slow downloads, it took what seemed forever downloading the latest update for my xbox one, and it seemed to download far quicker on the xbox one s, not sure if that is just a slower machine or faster internet but speed has increased and I am glad I dont have to wait around as much.

USAFRet

Titan
"slow downloads" are also a product of where you get them.
You get whatever speed they choose to deliver it to you.

And they cannot max out everyones pipe at the same time.
If they are serving it to you at 100mbps....that is all you will get, no matter what your contract with the ISP is.

Where gigabit service would come into play is if you had 10 of those going at the same time.
On a 500mbps line, each of the 10 simultaneous systems might only see 50, instead of the potential 100.

Solution
The best way to verify all your wiring is to check them using iperf--this will let you know if there are any substantial issues.

As far as your PC being slower--that's almost kinda normal as each device will have some variance if it can't use all the bandwidth.