Question RGB fan randomly flickering with Aura Sync

mkfy

Commendable
Oct 13, 2021
So, i've got three ARGB fans, which came with a 3 to 1 splitter (in order to use only 1 chassis fan connector) and with a little hub to do the same with the 5v ARGB header. When trying to connect them, i realised my B450M TUF had 12v RGB (4 pins) header, so i had to buy a deepcool RGB convertor. It arrived this week, but when plugging everything, one of the coolers lighting starts flickering in random colors, even in single color breathing mode. The only way it does not flicker is static white lights.
Before getting this convertor, i was using the coolers' integrated hub, which allowed me to set some ARGB effects like rainbow or so, and there was no problem, but obviously I was not able to sync rams and mobo too.
I've tested unplugging the center fan (the problematic one) but the issue moved to other one, so there should not be any cooler malfunction.

This is how it looks on static white: https://streamable.com/vektdh
Here it is @ color cycling: https://streamable.com/mcw85m
And white breathing: https://streamable.com/e1y829

Full PC specs are:

TUF B450M Gaming PLUS
Ryzen 5 5600x
2x8@3200mhz Team Force Delta
Zotac RTX 3060
Corsair 4000D Airflow

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
So, i've got three ARGB fans, which came with a 3 to 1 splitter (in order to use only 1 chassis fan connector) and with a little hub to do the same with the 5v ARGB header. When trying to connect them, i realised my B450M TUF had 12v RGB (4 pins) header, so i had to buy a deepcool RGB convertor. It arrived this week, but when plugging everything, one of the coolers lighting starts flickering in random colors, even in single color breathing mode. The only way it does not flicker is static white lights.
Before getting this convertor, i was using the coolers' integrated hub, which allowed me to set some ARGB effects like rainbow or so, and there was no problem, but obviously I was not able to sync rams and mobo too.
I've tested unplugging the center fan (the problematic one) but the issue moved to other one, so there should not be any cooler malfunction.

This is how it looks on static white: https://streamable.com/vektdh
Here it is @ color cycling: https://streamable.com/mcw85m
And white breathing: https://streamable.com/e1y829

Full PC specs are:

TUF B450M Gaming PLUS
Ryzen 5 5600x
2x8@3200mhz Team Force Delta
Zotac RTX 3060
Corsair 4000D Airflow
Hey! I've had a similar issue to you. I have Rosewill fans running through a Rosewill hub, and then into a 5V ARGB header on a Gigabyte motherboard. They all flicker or are not addressable using Fusion 2.0.

Did you get yours resolved? :)

Both cases are probably same: incompatibility. Whenever you connect any RGB device to motherboard ARGB header you need to check if the device is compatible with RGB system used by mobo. If it's not compatible then you'll not be able to control the device's lights via motherboard software. Or at least not in sensible way, because some level of control may be achieved.

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Both cases are probably same: incompatibility. Whenever you connect any RGB device to motherboard ARGB header you need to check if the device is compatible with RGB system used by mobo. If it's not compatible then you'll not be able to control the device's lights via motherboard software. Or at least not in sensible way, because some level of control may be achieved.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure these are the fans installed in my case and the site says they're Gigabyte Fusion 2.0 compatible. https://www.rosewill.com/product/12...1-dual-ring-addressable-rgb-case-fan-hub-set/

Tried some other things yesterday and they definitely don't change at all with that software though. I click something and nothing happens. Plugging my CPU cooler fan into the same header does allow me to change it via Fusion though. Any ideas?

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Indeed your fans have the Fusion logo so they should be compatible.

What's your motherboard model? Into which header you put the connector coming from hub?

Gigabyte B560 DS3H AC-Y1
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B560-DS3H-AC-rev-10#kf

As per this image, there's a 5V addressable DLED header with 3 pins. That's the one I'm using. The cable I have that goes from the hub has two 3 pin connectors, depending on the mobo manufacturer. Is that correct? There's also a 12V 4 pin RGB LED header which I haven't used.

The cable I have that goes from the hub has two 3 pin connectors, depending on the mobo manufacturer. Is that correct?
Yes. As per picture below, 3 pin is for (old) Gigabyte boards, and 4-1 pin is for all others. DLED header is the correct one. The question is if you used 3 pin or 4-1 pin connector? If you did use 4-1 and the rest is connected as in this picture then it should work.
61MJU0aQlwL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Yes. As per picture below, 3 pin is for (old) Gigabyte boards, and 4-1 pin is for all others. DLED header is the correct one. The question is if you used 3 pin or 4-1 pin connector? If you did use 4-1 and the rest is connected as in this picture then it should work.
61MJU0aQlwL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
The addressable (DLED) header on my motherboard looks like the one in the circle above on the left side. The one with 1 pin 1 pin no pin and 1 pin. So, the only adapter that I'm able to plug in is the one labelled "for Asus/MSI". That one is 4-pin with one blocked off. Is that correct?

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
I'm thinking either the Rosewill fans in the prebuilt are not the same as the ones I found on their site, or Fusion 2.0 is just being weird. I tried changing the fan colors in the BIOS too, and that also did nothing. Perhaps it'd be good to just get a new hub, though it looks like the fans have some strange proprietary connector.

or Fusion 2.0 is just being weird
Or the Rosewill hub is not as compatible as it claims.
Perhaps it'd be good to just get a new hub, though it looks like the fans have some strange proprietary connector.
Definitely it is proprietary. I doubt they will work with any other non-Rosewill hub.

Have you tried running the system with 4-1 pin cable not connected to motherboard? As I understand in such setup fans should run and display default color scheme. In such case we could suspect DLED header being bad.

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Or the Rosewill hub is not as compatible as it claims.

Definitely it is proprietary. I doubt they will work with any other non-Rosewill hub.

Have you tried running the system with 4-1 pin cable not connected to motherboard? As I understand in such setup fans should run and display default color scheme. In such case we could suspect DLED header being bad.
If I plug just my CPU cooler fan into the header, I can control it in Fusion, so I doubt the header is bad, right? That should confirm it's working?

If I got an entirely new hub, say, something like a Corsair Commander Pro, I would still be tied to Fusion 2.0, correct? It's a shame that software is the only thing available for my board.

If I plug just my CPU cooler fan into the header, I can control it in Fusion, so I doubt the header is bad, right? That should confirm it's working?
If that's the same header then yes, it confirms header as good.
If I got an entirely new hub, say, something like a Corsair Commander Pro, I would still be tied to Fusion 2.0, correct? It's a shame that software is the only thing available for my board.
I'm not sure if Corsair stuff will work with Fusion since they have their own app (ICUE) for that.

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
If that's the same header then yes, it confirms header as good.

I'm not sure if Corsair stuff will work with Fusion since they have their own app (ICUE) for that.
Thanks for your help, bud!

Turns out the fans were fully addressable, but the hub was not made for motherboard control. It specifically had a Rosewill 2-pin connector for the front panel LED button. They used it in an ABS case, which is all part of the same Rosewill-ABS-Newegg company (I found that ownership situation quite interesting when I found it out recently).

So, there's a different Rosewill hub (looks almost identical) which has a 3-pin white connector on it, and that one, connected to the Gigabyte B560 board, does work with the existing fans. The connector on the mobo side is the same for both, but the hub side is different. Previously, I was putting the 3-pin cable into the 2-pin socket on the old hub, hence either no fan control or wild flickering, haha! I knew that plug wasn't right, but I figured maybe it'd work anyway.

I then discovered Signal RGB, and got that to work with the fans. Way nicer than Fusion 2.0.

Posting this here in case anyone else wonders about this in future. :)

Reactions: DRagor