Question RGB fans say to plug into 5v rgb header, but mobo only has 12v...Any workaround?

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I may be missing something here, so I'll try to lay it out as best as I can.

I currently have a Crosshair VI Hero mobo, and am looking at installing a set of Thermaltake Riing Plus fans (the 120mm Premium version, if it matters).

In my research I watched a Thermaltake video guide on youtube detailing the installation on a VII Hero mobo, and mentioned a 3 pin 5v rgb header. I checked my mobo guide and could not find any header labeled 5v specifically, only the 4 pin 12v.

Am I overlooking the connector on this board, or is there a workaround/adapter that would allow me to use these fans?

Thanks

Here's the specific fan set I am eyeballing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725R6HMV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Last edited:
I may be missing something here, so I'll try to lay it out as best as I can.

I currently have a Crosshair VI Hero mobo, and am looking at installing a set of Thermaltake Riing Plus fans (the 120mm Premium version, if it matters).

In my research I watched a Thermaltake video guide on youtube detailing the installation on a VII Hero mobo, and mentioned a 3 pin 5v rgb header. I checked my mobo guide and could not find any header labeled 5v specifically, only the 4 pin 12v.

Am I overlooking the connector on this board, or is there a workaround/adapter that would allow me to use these fans?

Thanks

Here's the specific fan set I am eyeballing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725R6HMV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Nope, no ARGB headers on that MB. No way for a straight adapter either. They work on complete different principle. What you need is a separate ARGB controller.

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Nope, no ARGB headers on that MB. No way for a straight adapter either. They work on complete different principle. What you need is a separate ARGB controller.

Follow up question: The Thermaltake fan set I linked comes with what they call a "Digital Fan Controller". I sifted through the reviews and came across several that said they attached the unit to a USB header on the motherboard and things worked fine. Would this fan controller support that as a work around?
Or is there an adapter I'm overlooking that would allow use of ARGB on my motherboard?

Thanks again.

Edit: Forgot to add that I stumbled across this https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-rgb..._re=rgb_controller-_-9SIA6J39CB4893-_-Product
It sounds like this is the adapter/controller that I'd need to make this whole thing work.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a huge difference between ARGB and RGB, as big a difference in how a 3pin DC fan works and a 4pin PWM. RGB is analog, ARGB is digital. Consequently, all ARGB needs is a generated signal and a series of addresses for each led segment. This can be supplied by anything from an ARGB header to Sata data or even USB. The controller just takes that data and splits it up as appropriate. The source being whatever software is running the show.

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
There's a huge difference between ARGB and RGB, as big a difference in how a 3pin DC fan works and a 4pin PWM. RGB is analog, ARGB is digital. Consequently, all ARGB needs is a generated signal and a series of addresses for each led segment. This can be supplied by anything from an ARGB header to Sata data or even USB. The controller just takes that data and splits it up as appropriate. The source being whatever software is running the show.

So, just to walk it through: If i connected the Deepcool RGB converter to the 4 pin 12v header - then connected the Thermaltake MB sync controller with the 3 pin and attached all fans to that controller - That should do the trick? That ultimately the software recognizing the fans might be the tricky trial-and-error part.