Question RGB light/fan question

cydewaze

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I'm in the process of assembling a system for a friend that's going to be a birthday present for his 12 year old son. The system includes a thermaltake v200 case with three "RGB" fans in the front. Also included are two Deepcool brand fans to mount at the top of the case, which are also RGB. I have no experience with the RGB thing, so I just treated it as a normal build up until I got to the fans.

The case comes with a controller for the front fans, and a 4-pin cable to connect to the RGB connector on the motherboard. When I installed the two top fans, I connected them in series to the lead coming off of that same connector. When powered up, all the lights come on, BUT there's a button on the front of the case that allows the user to control the lights. When I press it, the front three fans that came with the case respond, but the two top fans ignore the button, despite being wired in to the same controller. The instructions for the case - being in Engrish - aren't much help.

I'd really rather have all the fan lights on all the fans work together with the button. Does anyone know of this is possible, or what I might have to do to get them to work? Thanks!

cydewaze

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Thanks. I'll double-check my connections when I get home. Now that you mention it, I think the top fans are connected to the motherboard, buy maybe not to the controller that the front fans are connected to. I might need to get my friend to order a cable for that.

cydewaze

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Ok, so back home and opened it up.

There's a control panel on the back side of the case that has a connection to each fan. It also has a connection to the front switch, as well as a cable that connects to the RGB header on the MB. This second cable splits, and it's what I've connected all the fans to in a daisy chain. So there is a connection between the fans and controller/switch, but the fans still don't respond to the switch. Only the three original front case fans do.

Last edited:
Ok, so back home and opened it up.

There's a control panel on the back side of the case that has a connection to each fan. It also has a connection to the front switch, as well as a cable that connects to the RGB header on the MB. This second cable splits, and it's what I've connected all the fans to in a daisy chain. So there is a connection between the fans and controller/switch, but the fans still don't respond to the switch. Only the three original front case fans do.

Hmm can you tell me what case you are using i have a theory

cydewaze

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I think the motherboard does (Asus Prime Z370-A) but it's more the button on the case that I'm trying to get to work. I'm wondering if unplugging the whole thing from the mobo will do anything. Or whether it'll all work anyway once the OS is installed.

Thanks for the advice. (y)

cydewaze

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
So, to follow up, there seems to be no way to get the new fans to respond to the button on the front of the case. The most likely explanation is that the Deepcool fans don't understand the commands from the button. If it ends up being a big deal, my buddy will probably have to spring for Thermaltake fans of the same type that are in the front of the case.