Question RGB Lights on mobo stopped working following case swap (Unable to change the RAM RGB lights after tinkering with it in msi center) ?

Jclau77

Commendable
Jun 27, 2021
Hello everyone, this post is long overdue. I'm currently experiencing an ongoing issue with the rgb lights on my z490 gaming carbon wifi mobo. Following the swapping of my case last month I noticed that the lights on my motherboard stopped working and the only way to turn it on is to flip the rgb switch on the mobo to get the lights working again but the thing is, is that whenever the computer goes into sleep mode or say it goes into screensaver mode the lights on the mobo stopped working which means I need to repeat the process once again. It's gotten to the point where I have to leave the rgb lights on the mobo off since it's a grueling process just to get it working once again.

What makes matters worse is that recently while tinkering with the rgb lights on my gskill ram both msi's software and gskill have stopped detecting the modules in the rgb software. It's stuck to the default rainbow wave. I've tried almost everything in terms of trying to troubleshoot this.

Things I've tried:

1. Uninstall/reinstall the software
  2. Restart the system
  3. Flip the switch (Only thing that works that is able to turn on my mobo lights)
And to add onto that, the mobo isn't picking up my ethernet cable which is a different topic that I recently posted. I've narrowed the problem down to two possible things. Either a software is conflicting with the ethernet cable which is highly unlikely or the actual port is dead.

Same goes for my RGB lights. Either there's a conflict regarding the rgb software for the lights on the mobo or the RGB lights are bricked.

Do note, that I used to run 6 fans in my previous case and now I have 9 fans installed with the Commander pro module made by Corsair.

If there's anyone that could help me with this please tell me because I am just about to RMA this board or upgrade to a Z590 board.

My specs:

MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi
RTX 3080 ti EVGA FTW3
i9 11900k
G.Skill 3200 mhz 64 gb of RAM (4x 16GB sticks)
XPG Gammix 1TB S11 M.2
Samsung 870Q SSD

Should I attempt a fresh installation of windows? Remove all my SSD's and M.2 and put in a fresh SSD and see if the lights work? If that doesn't should I proceed with an RMA? The nearest MSI repair center is like 30 minutes from where I live.

image0.png

(RGB LED switch is turned on)

Lutfij

Titan
Can you elaborate on your understanding of flipping the switch? RGB/ARG connectors can only go in one way on your motherboard's connector/header. You might want to also check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Make and model of your PSU(and it's age if it's been used for a while)?

Jclau77

Commendable
Jun 27, 2021
Can you elaborate on your understanding of flipping the switch? RGB/ARG connectors can only go in one way on your motherboard's connector/header. You might want to also check and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Make and model of your PSU(and it's age if it's been used for a while)?

You know the RGB LED switch on the mobo:

unknown.png

I have to constantly flip this switch just to enable the RGB lights again. And yes, I am on the latest bios. My PSU is fine. There are no issues with that. I might try a CMOS reset and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise I might just have to RMA the board.