[SOLVED] RGB motherboard suggestions?

GlamRockCowboy

Prominent
Feb 7, 2023
I'm trying to put together an RGB system. I already have the case, power supply, and CPU fan, all of which have RGB lighting built in. The internal components I have to work with are as follows:

1) An LGA 1151 i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2 Ghz.;

2) 64 GB of DDR4-3200 RAM--specifically, G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM, model number F4-3200C16D-32GVK;

3) To keep the overall costs down, I'll be using SATA hard drives instead of SSDs. The system drive will be 1 TB, while the data drive will be 2TB;

4) I'll be running Windows 11 Pro.

My biggest single problem has been finding a motherboard that I can be reasonably sure will support the RAM I've bought, as well as supporting RGB lighting. Checking the QVLs (which I know are NOT "all-inclusive"!) has proven to be extremely aggravating and frustrating. Since I'm on Social Security, I would like to keep the cost of the motherboard below $200. Can anyone help me out with some suggestions as to a motherboard that will meet these requirements? Thanks in advance! (By the way, I\m not into gaming as such; this will be more of a home media/home theater system.)

Ralston18

Titan
Understand that you need to work with what you have.

However, the starting point is usually the motherboard and then the selection of installed components that are supported by the motherboard.

And, in agreement, the QVL's can be aggravating and frustrating. But details matter.

Unless there are some specific requirements for RGB - drop them. RGB is often problematic and, in my mind, adds nothing to the system. Not against a nice looking system - just a matter of priorities here.

Reconsider the use of hard drives. SDD's may not be as expensive as expected and existing HDD can be used for the all important backups.

NVMe might be another choice but more costly.

Even though you are not a gamer per se, a "gaming" pc may well suit your media needs. Look at the specs as a sort of "reference".

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-gaming-pcs

Two other thoughts:

1) Do you have or plan to get a GPU or just use the CPU's integrated graphics.

2) Social Security: understood. Still what is your overall budget? Noted $200 for the motherboard but there will likely be other costs involved.

Good chance that someone will read your post and responses and be able to immediately suggest a suitable motherboard.

Or at least continue the discussion in that direction.

GlamRockCowboy

Prominent
Feb 7, 2023
Understand that you need to work with what you have.

However, the starting point is usually the motherboard and then the selection of installed components that are supported by the motherboard.

And, in agreement, the QVL's can be aggravating and frustrating. But details matter.

Unless there are some specific requirements for RGB - drop them. RGB is often problematic and, in my mind, adds nothing to the system. Not against a nice looking system - just a matter of priorities here.

Reconsider the use of hard drives. SDD's may not be as expensive as expected and existing HDD can be used for the all important backups.

NVMe might be another choice but more costly.

Even though you are not a gamer per se, a "gaming" pc may well suit your media needs. Look at the specs as a sort of "reference".

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-gaming-pcs

Two other thoughts:

1) Do you have or plan to get a GPU or just use the CPU's integrated graphics.

2) Social Security: understood. Still what is your overall budget? Noted $200 for the motherboard but there will likely be other costs involved.

Good chance that someone will read your post and responses and be able to immediately suggest a suitable motherboard.

Or at least continue the discussion in that direction.
UPDATE: I have found at least one candidate: The MSI Z270-A motherboard. HOWEVER--it does not appear to offer RGB support. While that is nor a "deal-breaker" as such, it IS somewhat frustrating, especially since the case, power supply, and CPU cooler all have RGB lighting built-in. (They were also the best values in their respectrive categories I could find at the time!) Given what I\ve already listed above, can anyone suggesy something sumular that WOULD have RGB support? Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:

GlamRockCowboy

Prominent
Feb 7, 2023
After careful consideration, I have given up on the i7-7700K, and have purchased an ASRock Z590 Steel Legend motherboard, together with an i5-10600K@4.1 Ghx. (4.8 Ghz. in Turbo mode). I have verified that both components are fully compatible wi the RAM that I already have on hand. Both components are brand new, AND they support Windows 11 Pro AND RGB lighting! The CPU and motherboard should be in my hot little hands later this week. Thanks for the support!