Ridiculous problem booting Windows 7 Vaio laptop

wrb123

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
hello,

i have a Sony Vaio laptop (PCG-71314L) that has Windows 7 Home Premium on it (i think it's 64-bit). i was removing files and programs from it to give it to a friend for christmas. i was going to make recovery discs after i removed everything (i was planning on just making an image of the drive on multiple dvds). i removed many programs from the add/remove programs in control panel, and then i removed about a dozen sony vaio programs (probably a mistake).

now when i boot the computer, it says "Windows Error Recovery - Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose start windows normally."

it then gives me two choices: Launch Startup Repair (Recommended) or Start Windows Normally.

if i do "Launch Startup Repair" there is a brief Microsoft Corporation load screen, and then i see the standard windows 7 background (blue, with some white swirl lines and a small bird and branch), and it gives me a mouse cursor to move around, but it never does anything after this (i have let it sit for about half an hour, tried pressing enter, clicking the mouse, pressing ctrl-alt-del, and nothing). the hard drive activity light remains off.

if i do "start windows normally" is sits at the "Starting Windows" screen with a picture of a glowing multicolored window pane with the colors red, green, blue, yellow and looks like it is slowly pulsating. the hard drive activity light seems to be on a solid orange color and does not move indicating any activity. after several minutes, the computer just reboots back to the Windows Error Recovery screen again.

if i try booting into safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt I get a screen that says "Loading Windows Files" and scrolls through a bunch of files but freezes when the last file on the screen shown is: \Windows\System32\drivers\CLASSPNP.sys

if i choose "repair computer" i get to the blue windows background screen with the bird and plant, and the working mouse cursor, but nothing else ever happens.

if i try "last known good configuration (advanced)", it goes to the Recovery Tools screen and freezes (see next paragraph for description of this screen).

if i press ALT-F10, i get to a screen that says "VAIO Recovery Tools are being launched. Please wait." but i can wait up to half an hour and nothing happens. it's as if the computer is frozen there, maybe because i removed the recovery tools application (im not sure if i did this or not, but it's quite possible).

i am able to boot into linux using an ubuntu 10.10 live disc. there, i see the following partitions:

main partition (309GB)
another partition (10GB) this must be the vaio recovery partition
some other partition (about 30MB to 100MB or so if i remember correctly) - this third smallest partition might have just been the linux live partition, but i don't know for sure.

i am also able to boot with an old windows xp installation disc i found, but i dont really want to install xp.

for some reason, booting with a windows 7 install disc doesnt work, a vista install disc doesnt work, and a windows 7 recovery disc i downloaded from CyberNetNews doesn't work either.

now, it looks like the recovery partition is still there and somewhat intact - is there any way to recover this partition and reinstall windows or factory reset the drive/computer without the use of the sony recovery utilities? is there a way to run some other generic recovery program? is it possible to replace some possibly damaged system files on the main partition (classpnp.sys) from the recovery partition to fix this problem? what else can i do to diagnose this? i can get to the file system through linux so im hoping something can be done with your help.

thank you.

wrb123

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
doing the (recommended) repair from the hard drive without a disc in the drive gets me to the blue background with bird and branch and a mouse cursor, yet no activity from the hard drive and it sat all night long. the windows 7 install dvd goes to the same blue background screen and the hard drive light is off, and instead of a mouse cursor i get a spinning blue circle for hours.

i'm going to try putting in an ubuntu disc and booting from that, wiping all the partitions, and doing a fresh install of ubuntu, XP, or Windows 7 (whichever will work).

if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know - otherwise this thing is getting completely wiped.

Syntronic

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I have the exact same problem with my Vaio laptop. What happened was i brought it to the computer shop, turned it on and at the same time explained to them the details. To my surprise when i turned around, it had gone past the Starting windows screen (the multi coloured glowing page).

What the man said was that it was probably because of my laptop having its usb ports filled with devices and this made it not able to start up properly. This made some sense to me but soon later, about 3 months down the track which is now the present, i am now facing the exact same problem.

It seems to me the cause of this problem is unknown and i myself am trying desperately to find an answer.

I hope this information has helped you. Try unplugging all your ports and start up your Vaio computer once again.

Note: Before I had this problem, it was less severe and it took about 1-2 hours to load and because of this issue I never turned off my computer and left it on for many weeks or maybe months.

curtis592

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have the same problem with my computer, does anyone think that getting a new hard drive will fix this or will it just happen again. Also i tried removing my hard drive and transfering my data to another computer but it only recognises a blank device. I assume my data is all lost and my computer is shot but if anyone has ay ideas or a solutution please let me know and I will post if i make any progress. - Jim

AskAnton

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Experienced the exact same symptoms on model PCG 71312L - this is how I fixed the problem. Hope it works for you!

Removed hard drive and mounted into a cradle. Attached (USB) to another PC. Did Start/Run [msinfo32] - without the brackets.

Looked at Components/Storage/Drives which showed hard drive with 3 Partitions. Opened (Windows) Explorer and 2 of these Partitions showed as drives (one marked as 'System Reserved' which is the Recovery files).

Noted the other drive letter e.g 'E' and Start/Run/Cmd [chkdsk E: /f] - without the brackets. This showed, found and fixed some corrupt files.

From Explorer did a right-click on the drive and ran a scan with the (up-to-date) virus programme. 2 'Trojan' files were found and dealt with.

Put drive back into the laptop and it went into System Recovery mode so, to be on the safe side, took the Data Backup option on the named User 'Document' folder.

Laptop then did a restart and Launch System Repair was run, which took some time and it said 'Cannot Repair'! However on a restart it opened normally and after entering the User's password it was all OK with all data intact.

Let me know if it works for you

vaizaren

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
what would i do with my laptop..
it has a problem like this..just because of a reason i do not know

still vaio laptop..

software and hardware problem ...

what should i do?

i cant understand it when i choose the recommended choice which is launch startup repair because it is in spanish..

what should i do with this?

stealtheyes

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks man ! this is awesome ! I did all the steps that you has specified and a miracle just happened. I still not believe that I made it, and all of this thanks to you :bounce:

I have to say that first of all I bought a new hard drive and replaced the broken one,
after that i did the same steps that you mentioned it with the specification that at the begining the computer did not recognized at all the hard drive wich was mounted in the cradle,
it took some minutes until ask me [ before you be able to use this volume you have to format it] which I did not, i hit cancel and after that in windows explorer showed up instantly but without the possibility to explore his contents.

Once again, THANKS A LOT MATE :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

stealtheyes

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks man ! this is awesome ! I did all the steps that you has specified and a miracle just happened. I still not believe that I made it, and all of this thanks to you

I have to say that first of all I bought a new hard drive and replaced the broken one,
after that i did the same steps that you mentioned it with the specification that at the begining the computer did not recognized at all the hard drive wich was mounted in the cradle,
it took some minutes until ask me [ before you be able to use this volume you have to format it] which I did not, i hit cancel and after that in windows explorer showed up instantly but without the possibility to explore his contents.

Once again, THANKS A LOT MATE

jrkopacko

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hello all,

Running into an issue with this same model of laptop for a friend. I found that the harddrive was actually corrupted. I ordered the identical new harddrive to replace it. Same model number, size, and brand; pound for pound no difference. Installed the harddrive and ran the 3 disc recovery steps that she gave me. Upon the second one being ran, it fails. Any ideas of how to get through this?

I have installed a basic form of Windows 7 Home Edition, no errors linking to the harddrive. I normally wouldn't care about installing the manufacturers recovery disc, but I'm sure there are applications installed on there that she would want.

She bought the device at BestBuy with their Geek Squad incentive. (what a joke) It's after a year of manufacturer warranty. Geek Squad provided me no answers, except to buy a new hard drive. Clearly, their "test" didn't show an unformatted harddrive.

It's 64 bit Windows 7 preinstalled, for the record.

Thanks!

qu3ll0

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I got the same issue on a sony vaio vpcse model PCG-41414M with Windows 7 64-bit pre-installed.

When powering on the laptop (either in normal mode, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, debug mode, or anything else) it always attempts a recovery but it hangs while searching for errors.
When using a Windows 7 Recovery CD, it hangs while seraching for Windows installations.

I've put the HD in an extenal USB case and connected to another PC, however in Explorer I can see only the 20 GB Recovery partition and a 230 GB partition (mounted as K: ) and if I try to do a chkdsk K: /f Windows 7 says that the partition is RAW and it cannot be checked.

So, I did a check/repair for disk errors using HDD Regenerator.
It has found 2 DELAYED sectors (meaning slow access sectors) and 8 BAD (damaged) sectors.
BAD sectors have been fixed automatically and upon a roboot I got my Windows as it was before.

The 2 DELAYED sectors are still there so probably the disk is going to fail again and I should replace it as soon as possible however the important thing is that I can boot the system so that I'm now able to backup my important data.

HDD Regenerator is not free (it costs 99$) however I got it within Hirens Boot CD 15.1 Restored Version.

Hope this can help.

arduinoos

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Hi,
Checking disk partitions with chkdsk (after plugging the disk on a cradle) saved my: nerves, time, disk as I was about to give up and throw my friend's #%$*#@ VAIO away!
Thanks a lot for this so simple but so valuable information
Which leads to some philosophic considerations:
-Occam razor principle applies to computers too
-Trying to simplifying things make them far more complex in the event of the least flaw
-Internet is an infinite mine of information provided you know how to dig
-Good ol'DOS still required

Regards
Didier