[SOLVED] Rift s Vs Quest

I know this question has been asked millions of times.
i'm asking again incase there is a deal breaker for me personally

as for the questions i have
i have a gtx 1080 and an i7 8700k, thats more then enough for both headsets at full resolution, right?

which one has a better display?
i heard that because the quest has a pentile something something it is less then adverstised irl or something?
also, the rift s has an lcd while the quest has an oled, oled is much better, or is atleast supposed to be, but ive heard that for the index atleast, its lcd because thats better..? does that apply to the rift s too?

also, as an 144hz 1440p display user, will i notice the much lower frame rate, and if so, is the 8hz difference between the 2 really bad?

thanks for listening to my problems, and sorry if these have all been answered before

edit: 2 more question i forgot
1. is the included cable with the quest long enough, and does it work connecting it to a pc?

2. i heard the cable transfers ALL the data through the usb protocol, not using displayport/hdmi for the displays, and as so, makes the response time not too amazing and quite a bit of "lag" or slowness between moving your hand/face and seeing that happen on screen (couple ms of course, but im asking if this is noticeable) and i also just heard that there are black bars at the left and right if you move your head too fast cause of the usb cable not being enough to transfer all the data

Solution

i have a gtx 1080 and an i7 8700k, thats more then enough for both headsets at full resolution, right?

i heard that because the quest has a pentile something something it is less then adverstised irl or something?
also, the rift s has an lcd while the quest has an oled, oled is much better, or is atleast supposed to be, but ive heard that for the index atleast, its lcd because thats better..? does that apply to the rift s too?

also, as an 144hz 1440p display user, will i notice the much lower frame rate, and if so, is the 8hz difference between the 2...

also, as an 144hz 1440p display user, will i notice the much lower frame rate, and if so, is the 8hz difference between the 2 really bad?

thanks for listening to my problems, and sorry if these have all been answered before

edit: 2 more question i forgot
1. is the included cable with the quest long enough, and does it work connecting it to a pc?

2. i heard the cable transfers ALL the data through the usb protocol, not using displayport/hdmi for the displays, and as so, makes the response time not too amazing and quite a bit of "lag" or slowness between moving your hand/face and seeing that happen on screen (couple ms of course, but im asking if this is noticeable) and i also just heard that there are black bars at the left and right if you move your head too fast cause of the usb cable not being enough to transfer all the data

It sounds like you are interested in using the Quest linked up to your gaming PC, rather than as a totally independent device correct?

There was an interesting video about doing that on LTT:
View: https://youtu.be/AGScX_8plYw

From what Linus was saying there is a noticeable input lag on the controls when using the Quest hooked up to a PC vs using the dedicated Rift S. They like the quest but I think the verdict is it's better as a standalone- if you are used to high frame rate gaming (and given the strong specs of your machine which should be ample for current VR titles) you will probably really notice the added input lag of using a quest for PC VR games so personally I would suggest you are better off looking at a Rift instead.

Solution

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
For Rift S:

• Better display (despite it being lower resolution, has reduced screendoor effect and higher refresh rate)
  • More comfortable (no pressure on your face at all - for me all the weight is on my head)

For Quest:

• Wireless - no PC required and can run standalone
  • Better blacks as it has an OLED panel

In conclusion if you have a PC and only plan on using it with PC, get a Rift S - if you don't have a PC get a quest.

I have a Rift S and I think it's great, super comfortable but I can notice the refresh rate compared to my 144hz monitor.

Reactions: cdrkf