RIM Teases BlackBerry 10 Smartphone With First Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Re-designed. Re-engineered. Re-invented

Promising words. I Pray that it is good. More good products means more good choices. More good choices also eventually means lower prices and higher innovation.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Nice picture of a rubber foot there...what does the phone look like?

I know they are supposed to be targeting business users with the physical keyboard, but the market is so much bigger than that now that they would probably have been better off releasing the touchscreen version first.

I guess the keyboard is supposed to be their signature feature, but obviously it's not so attractive any more if they are losing so much business to the two market leaders.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I too think RIM is misreading their business partners. It's not the physical keyboard that makes the blackberry the still preferred device for most global companies. It's the security features. I think that many global companies like my own is currently in a holding position for WP8 as that platform looks promising from a security perspective where iOS and android have failed miserably.

LEXX911

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Saw the phone design on another server and it's pretty nice looking phone. But the OS is dead. No Apps. Use to own a BB Playbook and the OS is just plain terrible in the sense that it takes almost 3 mins to boot up which is totally ridiculous.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]LEXX911[/nom]Saw the phone design on another server and it's pretty nice looking phone. But the OS is dead. No Apps. Use to own a BB Playbook and the OS is just plain terrible in the sense that it takes almost 3 mins to boot up which is totally ridiculous.[/citation]

The Playbook OS is not quite the same as BB10 and it is now about 2 years old.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]I too think RIM is misreading their business partners. It's not the physical keyboard that makes the blackberry the still preferred device for most global companies. It's the security features. I think that many global companies like my own is currently in a holding position for WP8 as that platform looks promising from a security perspective where iOS and android have failed miserably.[/citation]

:D Hahaha... Microsoft has a great fame for security :D MS Windows is like a knight in an mithril armor and not in a tin sieve. :D Very promising record! I'm pretty sure MS can deliver it! :D

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]LEXX911[/nom]Saw the phone design on another server and it's pretty nice looking phone. But the OS is dead. No Apps. Use to own a BB Playbook and the OS is just plain terrible in the sense that it takes almost 3 mins to boot up which is totally ridiculous.[/citation]

Yeah it takes about 2 mins to boot (updated since you had it I guess) but then you don't have to switch it off again. I've had mine 3 months and I haven't had to boot it since. It just sits in Stand By.

What exactly were you doing with yours?

Its a great value piece of kit now. Wouldn't be without mine now.

xjoedisorderx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Nice picture of a rubber foot there...what does the phone look like? I know they are supposed to be targeting business users with the physical keyboard, but the market is so much bigger than that now that they would probably have been better off releasing the touchscreen version first. I guess the keyboard is supposed to be their signature feature, but obviously it's not so attractive any more if they are losing so much business to the two market leaders.[/citation]

The first phone out the gate is a full touchscreen. This has been known for months now. That rubber foot you are speaking of actually looks quite nice in the tons of other pictures and videos that have been released.... Oh but you can't look passed tomshardware, heh typical.

http://youtu.be/TSs5Q_rcgX4

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
90% of the reason I use Blackberry is because its the only brand that makes a decent QWERTY phone. My 9900 is awesome and I couldn't imagine sms, mms or emailing with a touch screen. I'm a fast typer and don't have to look while doing it so I couldn't imagine doing it on a touch screen. Most people just play games on their phone and surf the web which I do but I do more then that. For people who like to do lots of communication then a keyboard it really big. 45WPM on a touch screen? If you can do that then I'm impressed :p

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]90% of the reason I use Blackberry is because its the only brand that makes a decent QWERTY phone. My 9900 is awesome and I couldn't imagine sms, mms or emailing with a touch screen. I'm a fast typer and don't have to look while doing it so I couldn't imagine doing it on a touch screen. Most people just play games on their phone and surf the web which I do but I do more then that. For people who like to do lots of communication then a keyboard it really big. 45WPM on a touch screen? If you can do that then I'm impressed[/citation]
Completely agree. But they now need the ecosystem, with the right apps and support, or it will still be a niche market. Hope they can deliver.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]90% of the reason I use Blackberry is because its the only brand that makes a decent QWERTY phone. My 9900 is awesome and I couldn't imagine sms, mms or emailing with a touch screen. I'm a fast typer and don't have to look while doing it so I couldn't imagine doing it on a touch screen. Most people just play games on their phone and surf the web which I do but I do more then that. For people who like to do lots of communication then a keyboard it really big. 45WPM on a touch screen? If you can do that then I'm impressed[/citation]

I agree with this. My Blackberry 9670 provides a comfortable environment for me to type a whole paragraph without taking even a glance at the keyboard. I've tried multiple times with touchscreen devices but I can't get used to them in terms of typing. However I'd jump on a touchscreen BB in a heartbeat if it can provide a suitable dual touch and physical environment.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

I hope RIM is successful. I would hate to see them go the way of Palm.
chicofehr is right about the keyboard. I loved my Treo 750 and even my pre+ and pre2 because of the keyboard. But call quality was my big thing. My old Treo had great clarity and my Galaxy S2 is okay, but not great. It seems like call quality has been forgotten in today's BIG screen and tons of apps generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.