Question Rio WiFi Router ?

patrocle

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2017
I keep seen post over at FB about the new just release Rio Wifi Router and curious if any good? Supposed to be but not seeing any reviews on it.
See info here: https://riorouter.com

I don't see any specs on their page and or what speeds are coming out those two ports.
On my network i have two of the Asus wifi routers RT-AX86U upstairs and down stairs with backhaul aimesh hardwired and for Cable modem i have a Netgear Nighthawk CM3000 w/xfinity 1.2gb plan. I have quite some ip cameras, and some wifi cameras around the home and quite few light switch and other things and have few problems with internet speed witch i only get about 350-400 mb/s but next weekend will have a look to see what's going on with it.

Anyway, why i asked about the above wifi router, i am trying to kind lockdown my network from sending out stuff especially with the cameras and switches,etc... and i see that you can do it if you have Vlan in your settings but this Asus model does not have it, so i was looking at Rio wifi router witch they say it has and this router is made for the purpose of been safe within your network.

If anyone has any info on this, and tried the new wifi router let me know how is it and if worth trying.

Thanks,

kanewolf

Titan
I keep seen post over at FB about the new just release Rio Wifi Router and curious if any good? Supposed to be but not seeing any reviews on it.
See info here: https://riorouter.com
I don't see any specs on their page and or what speeds are coming out those two ports.
On my network i have two of the Asus wifi routers RT-AX86U upstairs and down stairs with backhaul aimesh hardwired and for Cable modem i have a Netgear Nighthawk CM3000 w/xfinity 1.2gb plan. I have quite some ip cameras, and some wifi cameras around the home and quite few light switch and other things and have few problems with internet speed witch i only get about 350-400 mb/s but next weekend will have a look to see what's going on with it.
Anyway, why i asked about the above wifi router, i am trying to kind lockdown my network from sending out stuff especially with the cameras and switches,etc... and i see that you can do it if you have Vlan in your settings but this Asus model does not have it, so i was looking at Rio wifi router witch they say it has and this router is made for the purpose of been safe within your network.

If anyone has any info on this, and tried the new wifi router let me know how is it and if worth trying.

Thanks,
Just having VLAN(s) doesn't prevent any outbound traffic. All it does is segregate traffic on your LAN. You would have to have firewall rules to prevent a VLAN from accessing the internet.
Are you running Merlin firmware on your Asus routers ? I THINK Merlin has VLAN support -- see this article -- https://www.testipenkki.com/?p=52

Reactions: patrocle

patrocle

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2017
Just having VLAN(s) doesn't prevent any outbound traffic. All it does is segregate traffic on your LAN. You would have to have firewall rules to prevent a VLAN from accessing the internet.
Are you running Merlin firmware on your Asus routers ? I THINK Merlin has VLAN support -- see this article -- https://www.testipenkki.com/?p=52
I am not a pro when it comes to Network configuring but learning.
My both Asus have the original firmware. I will have to look into the Merlin ones. Do i need to have Merlin on both or just the main one? thanks.

Like I suspected this is a very expensive router that has lots of marketing targeted at non technical consumers.
On top of the high price they then want a monthly charge for some features like VPN. Also if you were to buy a new router especially at price points over $300 you don't want to buy wifi6 you want wifi6e.

It really depends on what features you really need. As mentioned the merlin firmware is going to give you most feature for free. The ax86u supports merlin.

When you start talking about vlans you are quickly jumping into much more complex network topics. You start having to learn all about subnets, firewall and general routing in addition to the simple concept of vlans. It is all going to depends on the details of where equipment is and how it is connected to determine if you need merlin on both routers....I would just because they are then the same. If you only have those 2 devices in addition to your cable modem then you can likely make it work but if you have even small switches in the network it will make the project harder. Most simple switches do not support vlans...but depending on how you connect them it may or may not matter.

The hardware question is pretty easy. There are many cheaper and better solutions that what you link. That appears to be a product they sell on shop at home networks on tv. The vlan and network design question is like asking how you do a tune up on your car when you have never opened the hood. It is not real hard but takes some reading there are many basic concept you need to know.

Reactions: patrocle
Don't get conned by marketing. The firewall process in the merlin firmware likely is more than good enough.

Mostly you need a firewall if you were running a server in your house that required access from the internet. You need to a point to protect the server from attacks. I don't think the so called firewall you link is even designed for that purpose.

The default is nothing can get into your network from the internet. The simple NAT function on any router does that by default and nothing gets in unless you change it with things like port forwarding.

Most other so called firewall features are old and outdated. It is almost impossible to limit content. Things like deep packet inspection of web session are long dead because all web traffic is now encrypted. Filter by web site is also mostly useless because of the use of encrypted DNS. You can try to filter by IP address but in many cases IP addresses just map back to large hosting centers like google or cloudflare.

In effect you can not really limit internal machines access to web sites. You can do things like time of day blocking or maybe block access completely.

Most true firewall features again are used when you have a server where you have intentionally allowed access from the internet but want to try to restrict the type of traffic coming to the server.