Question Riser cable problem

selfinflictedbaldness

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
decided to swap cases to the thermaltake core p3 becasue i have an aorus card that is gorgeous and i want to mount vertically. read the reviews about the stock riser cable and bought :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CS4PFKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because it had the best reviews and as far as i could tell as long as you get a quality one there is little difference brand wise.

my specs-

i7 8700
asrock z370 killer sli
gigabyte rtx2080 aorus
gskill trident rgb 16x2
thermaltake 850w rgb psu

i am using a vizio smart tv as a monitor, model d55u. not sure if that matters.

now, before i swapped out this build to the new case i did have the problem with getting no signal on first boot, ive always had to reset after first boot if the pc has been off shut down for an extended period of time. it was inconvenient but i couldnt figure it out after looking around and gave up, it was working, i had work projects due, good enough.....

anyways.. so when the riser cable is in the primary pci slot, i always get no signal on first boot, and then after reset, i get either attempting repair which always fails, the windows logo with the loading symbol that when it finishes goes to no signal, or it boots into windows with no option to sleep, very limited resolution settings, and the display goes no signal after about 20 seconds.

in the secondary slot, everything seems to be working fine, but my boot load time is muuuch longer than when the card is plugged directly into the board and i also have an unknown usb device in my list, and my display flickers a couple times like drivers are being installed.

basically im concerned about leaving it like this and jacking my system up. can anyone offer any advice? new cable? bad mobo or card because of the original no signal on first boot? Any advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance guys

Ralston18

Titan
When a system fails to start on "first boot" and then restarts on a "second boot" I generally suspect a physical connection problem. First boot fails to start but warms up (expands) components, a connection becomes tighter, and the second boot succeeds.

However if there are continuing problems with the secondary slot then the riser cable may also be defective.

Are you able to get into safe mode on a first boot attempt? And likewise for second boot?

Look for error codes and warnings in Reliability History and Event Viewer. There may be some entries therein to help determine what may happening.

selfinflictedbaldness

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response but i decided to wait until after i returned the cable and got a different one to rule it out. same problem with a different cable so im pretty sure the cable isnt the issue.

considering i had this same problem in the other case i dont think its a connection issue but i double checked and all connections are flush and secure. the computer does get into safe mode fine once i can get it to boot with a signal

i checked reliablility history and got a few...

Description
The following file necessary for Windows startup was corrupt: e:\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: fffff406c848f5c8
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_17134
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

there is also alot of stuff in event viewer, mostly errors about devicesetupmanager,or distributedcom.......im not even sure where to start.

basically ive ruled out the cable at this point and have no idea what to do next