Roadmap May Reveal Windows 8 Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
It seems that M$ is using the intel Tick-Tock strategy.
Windows 2000 (5.0) -> Windows XP (5.1)
Windows Vista (6.0) -> Windows 7 (6.1)
And the actual ver.7 will be dubbed Windows 8 :D

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]I wonder if they will break the good-bad-good-bad release cycle.[/citation]
haha, was just thinkin the same thing.. looks like we may be hangin onto 7 for a bit longer than three years *gulp*

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
god, how can you buy windows 7 when you can see windows 8 around the corner. OS's are tough, although i guess the entire computer industry is tough on consumers wanting the most. Every month the bar gets set higher, and higher, and higher. It's killin me!

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]At this point who really Cares.[/citation]
Well if you followed that mindset you would still be using a Pentium and 4MB graphics card...

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]So does that mean that somewhere around the year 2273 A.D. we will see Windows 95 again.[/citation]
we probably won't see it ;)

mikeyman2171

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Maigo I think the good-bad-good cycle is just Microsofts version of intels tick-tock cycle so we are just going to have to live with it until they get it right. I just hope this next release is pure 64bit and adds in WinFS as well as a better network stack.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]Pure 64bit?[/citation]

What do you mean "pure" ? A 64 bit version without WoW (Windows on Windows, the 32 bit layer)?

That's seems pretty stupid to me.

I'd hate it if my 32 bit apps would stop running all of a sudden ...

mikeyman2171

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Exactly what I mean, Its about time to pull the plug on the whole WoW thing. There is no need to keep dragging out the legacy software/hardware anymore its just holding back progress. Why would a company invest in the development of 64bit software or hardware that can take advantage of the address space if they can just sit back and ride the 32bit train for the next few years. I totally understand not wanting to have to buy new software due to a jump from 32 to 64 bit. This actually has been addressed in the gaming community with some software receiving 64bit executables after their release taking them from 32 to 64bit so if it can be done there it can be done with any other app as well. If that fails I am sure some smart guys will develop an emulator like they have for dos.

we_are_theBorg

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I still see corporate clients with Windows 2000 Server machines slogging away after nearly a decade with solid, stable operation and the same driver model as XP... XP was to 2000 as Win '98 was to Win 95 SR2 roots... As for me? I'm sticking with XP x64 until Windows 7 has enough users that the first generation of drivers get the kinks worked out... Then... I'm all about it...

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
[citation][nom]we_are_theBorg[/nom]I still see corporate clients with Windows 2000 Server machines slogging away after nearly a decade with solid, stable operation and the same driver model as XP... XP was to 2000 as Win '98 was to Win 95 SR2 roots... As for me? I'm sticking with XP x64 until Windows 7 has enough users that the first generation of drivers get the kinks worked out... Then... I'm all about it...[/citation]
The first generation of drivers have already been worked out in Vista.

Just saying.

Upendra09

Distinguished
[citation][nom]V3NOM[/nom]Well if you followed that mindset you would still be using a Pentium and 4MB graphics card...[/citation]

I do but i care, I have a tualitin celeron 1.2 ghz and onboaord 8mb of VRAM

But i also have a C2d laptop with a 9600m GT w/ 512mb of VRAM and VIsta with 4 mb of RAM

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]What do you mean "pure" ? A 64 bit version without WoW (Windows on Windows, the 32 bit layer)?That's seems pretty stupid to me.I'd hate it if my 32 bit apps would stop running all of a sudden ...[/citation]
maybe within that time (doubtful) 64bit will start to become more popular and more compatible.
When i got six gigs and installed 64bit ultimate on my rig, i was very dissapointed that just about everything (minus games) were unbareably buggy/incompatible. Scary thought of all 64bit yes, but hey, lets see what happens :)

[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]Code Name "Windows 8"? Where did they come up with that crazy name?[/citation]
lol. I think they should have some thing like Longhorn (aka Vista) or Snow Lepord (aka OSX) or Affluent Albatross (2.6.14. Thy sound SOOOO much cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.