RoboHornet Pro: Microsoft Snubs Google, Mozilla Concurs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itfiend

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Cryio[/nom]Internet Explorer Metro in Windows 8 X64 is running the IE10 in x64 mode, opposed to IE10 desktop which works ONLY in x86.[/citation]

This information is inaccurate. Internet Explorer on the Desktop only defaults to x86. You must enable x64 mode, which automatically will disable x86 mode "by default". This is a per-user setting manageable by Group Policy, or manually.

To enable x64 mode manually on the Windows 8 desktop environment, press the keys "Windows-W", search for and open "Internet Options", select the Advanced tab, and then under Security checkmark "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode". Quit all open sessions of IE, and now you only have the x64 edition of IE available to the desktop, with all the new IE10 Modern UI security features enabled.

Once you have IE10 Enhanced Protected Mode enabled, all x86 browser plugins must be authorized to run per site you visit. A pop up will show up at the bottom of your IE window where downloads are announced, asking if you want to disable Enhanced Protected Mode for the site you’re on. If you press disable, you will enable x86 mode explicitly for that site. (I know of no way to manage this feature, so once you disable protected mode for a site, it may very well be stuck that way for a while)

itfiend

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry, I gave a bit of inaccurate information as well. When you disable Enhanced Protected Mode for single sites, it still remains in x64 mode. It just allows older x64 plugins to work.

The only plugin I know of that supports this mode is Flash. Not even the current Silverlight supports it. Not sure that Silverlight will ever be fixed to support it either.

[citation][nom]meltbox360[/nom]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ijx9srqTgwI will post the regular robohornet run tomorrow. I have a friend with a touchpad. I'll see if he can run it. He may be exclusively android initial now though.[/citation]

It is understandable that PlayBook 2.1 browser gets excellent scores, considering RIM has been pouring a lot of resources into the PlayBook browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.