Roccat Power-Grid: Turn Your Smartphone Into A PC Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Or my note 3 for that matter. I do however think that I could use the gameklip I ordered as a stand. Or just some other stuf in my room. It is not that hard.

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I too want to know this. I am in the process of building a lap desk to use for my KB/Mouse setup to the HTPC. My plan was to use a automotive dashboard mount for my Note 2 or Nexus 7 to have on the lapdesk to surf the web or use skype with. If this software works independently without hardware that'd be great.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
that is the worst thing you can do to a smartphone (short of just smashing it). All of the wide viewing angle displays (IPS like technology) get burnings if static content is displayed for too long and it eventually becomes permanent (just like with an HDTV)

I would consider a product like this only useful if you have an old first gen android smartphone or an old windows mobile 2003 pocket PC or other old device to use with it and be compatible.

A person doing something like using their iphone 5 for this will be very sad when they see the screen burn-in.

These issues will not happen within a short while, but over time you will start to get burn in issues that won't go away.

gadgety

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
"instead of purchasing a separate, expensive peripheral device with customizable LCD display, what if you could just leverage your phone or tablet to get the job done?" Yes, I've been looking to get a CPU temperature, and fan and pump controller software. Found something called PC-monitor which is available for iOS, Android and and Windows Phone. Apparently there's something called Server control as well. Haven't used either, but really looking for these kinds of solutions, utilizing the power resident in the phone.

psycher1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Cant get it to connect. Any network oriented dudes out there that can help me find out what's up?
My PC is wired to the router, don't know why that would hurt but it's the only thing I can think. Otherwise, got my LAN and WAN IP addresses, but the phone can't find either.

rd1

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Well this sounds like a nice bit of software, you made me curious about it and want to try it.

Also cool Trek wall Don.

hannibal

Distinguished
Actually this could be good! Use your phone (or even better you tablet) as an touch based device to use your computer. If this could just copy the UI of the main computer, this could be guite usefull. If it is just a device to use with some "key" aplications... not so interesting...

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
So, I've tested it out a little bit.

The system stats are useful, and the Sound Control isn't bad either. Above that, I don't really see much utility.

The only games I have that have custom grids on their website are Skyrim and Civ V. For Skyrim, I played for about an hour without using the app once. With Civ V, it did alright, but after about ten minutes, my phone reset, then after a few more minutes, the connection dropped, and I went back to mouse only.

The VLC remote works well, and I can see it being used as a remote for an HTPC. Well, except for the fact that there are only basic controls, meaning that you need a mouse to select the file or disc, and, in the case of a DVD, select play.

Some people have asked about how to get it. It's free on the Google Play store, and you can get the Windows app from their website, also free. You need both for it to work.

Overall, it's an interesting thing to play with, but I don't really see myself using it much in the future.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I'd love to see something like this in the context of a living room user - the Skype "Answer Call" function seems like a great thing to have - no alt-tabbing out of a game needed.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
You guys don't need that keyboard and crap. It's an APP on the APP stores. Just download it to your computer and your iphone / android, then sync them. It just uses your cell phones wi -fi or internet to communicate with each other. I use this to see my CPU usage in BF 4. I am close, but not CPU bound yet. 70 - 90%

http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Download/

Spencer Castillo

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
this is a really great concept. but theres one thing that worries me and that is the touch screen display of the phone. I would need to look on the phone everytime I want to press something because theres no feedback and it registers by touching not by pressing so it is very easy to press the wrong button. As a gamer this is a big deal to me.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Well, after testing this - answering a Skype call requires the button presses to go to the Skype window, which in turn means that the Skype window has to be on-screen and selectable to answer your call. No, you can't use this software to answer your Skype call while keeping your game open and in full screen.

A bit sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.