Roccat Sova MK Lapboard, Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durray

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Could you get this to work with Steam Link? Dont really want to have to carry my rig downstairs every time I want to game from the sofa!

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I'm told it's being discussed. More than discussed, really. But a wireless option is currently technically not on the product road map. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did it at some point.

jerpers

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
When initially announced, it was the wireless version that was supposed to be released Q2 this year with a wired version to follow. Now you say it is not currently on the roadmap? I was all but ready to order one until I saw they went with wired first.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Correct. I'm curious why you're more interested in a wireless one than wired?

jerpers

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

It is for living room gaming. My PC is diagonally across the room from my sofa. I don't want a cable trailing across my room with my kiddies running around. It's bad enough my VR gaming is limited solely to when they are in bed :p

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I hear ya. My only thing is that I hate dealing with wireless connections. Managing the connection every time you boot. Dropouts in the middle of games sometimes. Ugh. And you have to power the wireless module somehow, which means some kind of battery, which means you need a charging station...

Don't get me wrong, I see the value in wireless. (Especially with kids around.) I'd like to see it as an option, at least, for sure. I just like the ease of the wired connection. Plug it in once, off you go.

jerpers

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

I have been gaming for years using a logitech dinovo edge and performance mx mouse. I have never once had any problems with battery life, lag etc. I have been eager to upgrade to a 'proper' gaming setup but have been waiting patiently for the sova/turret/lapdog, disappointed by all. I am now at a loss of what to do.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

FWIW, this is my writeup of the Turret: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/razer-turret-lapboard-mouse-hands-on,32187.html

It's not terrible for gaming (but not as good as Sova/Lapdog). You probably need the wireless extender to ensure a quality connection. If you're dying for wireless and are OK with some performance compromises (mainly the chiclet keyboard, magnetized mouse surface, small mouse, and limited mousepad real estate), the Turret is not too shabby.

jerpers

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Thanks for the link. That's a very detailed review. As you stated at the end, the price point is a real sticking point for a small board with quite a few flaws. It's made up my mind that I need to continue to wait and other options will come out there in the future.

Oinkflu

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
I am in the exact same boat as you. I want a wireless solution, because I have dogs and a girlfriend that would not be happy with a wire going across the living room. I actually don't want to game on the sofa, but I currently do not have a desk at my home...

I use a gamepad for certain games, but there are other games that absolutely requires a m/k setup. I would actually purchase the Turret, but it doesn't have backlit keys. I have a Logitech keyboard w/backlight that works for months without a recharge (albeit I don't use it for gaming). Also, it is a bit smaller than I like too.

I might have to just suffer until a proper lapboard comes out or fund a kickstarter... I hope Roccat comes out with a wireless version soon. I don't understand why this is difficult to produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.