News Rock Pi X: An x86 Computer in Raspberry Pi Form Factor

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
Usually my board of choice for embeded x86 is the PCEngine's APU series. they have AMD processors 1-4 LAN ports, M2 storage, 1 sata port, and miniPCi expansions. the board is more expensive, though, about 150USD

nice to have cheaper options for x86
how is the cooling of this rockpi ?

gruffi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
z8350? No, thanks. I have that one in a Tablet with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB eMMC. Not really enjoyable with Windows 10. I tried Android-x86 some time ago. But that wasn't stable enough. At the moment I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon. But even that sometimes lags. A more recent Atom would have been a better solution.

May 2, 2020
I had (past tense, the mobo got fried somehow) a budget laptop that came with that CPU, which is really an SoC, and the motherboard is extremely compact from the the get, so the only "exploit" here is to add a few peripherals that the SoC does support but aren't supplied by the OEMs due to the compacity they try to offer their customers, i.e. an Ethernet port.

That's it. And for what it's worth, this CPU/SoC has a mean tendency to thermal throttling that can go all the way to crashing your machine, because cooling is passive.