Rockstar Used Myth DRM Crack For Max Payne 2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]The creators of the crack should sue them for pirating their code. Now *that* would be funny.[/citation]

[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]The hacking groups should go after these companies with bills for "services rendered" to remove the protection.[/citation]

Awesome comments.

[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Personally I think the companies should not be doing this, all they are doing is imitating they're "enemies" and personally I think it's even more morally wrong than pirating it in the first place, as your now PAYING for a non legit version.I'm pretty pissed that companies are starting to do this.[/citation]

Agreed. You are actually paying for someone else's work. On the other hand, maybe Rockstar left the myth tag on purpose, crediting them for their lazyness. Still like Gin said, it looks morally bad. It won't be any surprise when games like MW2, BC2, Crysis saga and some others get old, we'll see them as cheap digital downloads with DRM's scheme circumvented by other scene releases work like PROCYON, RELOADED, SKIDROW, Razor1911, etc.

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Why waste perfectly good work.

And a no-cd fix might not always be legal but it isn't piracy.
It's true that more people use them for pirated copies, but a lot of paying customers might use them as well.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
You wouldn’t steal a car.
You wouldn’t steal a handbag.
You wouldn’t steal a mobile phone.
You wouldn’t steal a DVD.
Downloading pirated **films/games** is stealing.
Stealing is against the law.
Piracy: it’s a crime.

**Stealing someone else's code is a crime.

lol.. the irony.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]The creators of the crack should sue them for pirating their code. Now *that* would be funny.[/citation]
Haha best comment all day.
I think its halarious that they use the pirates coding.I guess they figured since they made it to crack they;'re game.They got the right to it,which it think they do?

anyways this is pretty funny though.Cool little tid bit to read.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]You wouldn’t steal a car. You wouldn’t steal a handbag. You wouldn’t steal a mobile phone. You wouldn’t steal a DVD. Downloading pirated **films/games** is stealing. Stealing is against the law. Piracy: it’s a crime.**Stealing someone else's code is a crime.lol.. the irony.[/citation]
I remember a friend quoting the commercial, "would you steal a handbag? Yes. Would you steal a car? Yes." I only follow laws I believe in anyways.

Lazy, but hey, it works. I just hope no one gets fired over it.
No-cd cracks are awesome.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]omikron48[/nom]At the very least, it is a violation of the game's EULA since that normally prohibits modification of the game's executables.
Then, if a DRM is bypassed, it's a violation under the DMCA, which is usually interpreted as an attempt in piracy.[/citation]
EULA=End user license agreement. Since the crack wasn't applied by the end user, how could the EULA be violated?
Bypassing your own DRM could be considered for DCMA violation lawsuit only in case you sued yourself (unlikely unless you're a moron).

omikron48

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
@martel80: If you paid enough attention to look at what I quoted, my statement was in response to that. Sure, what I said only applies to end users, but you have to consider that I was answering when it was illegal to apply a nocd crack, even if the game was acquired legally.

Before you go mouthing off, read some more.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Know it | Report it | Reward it
It's all confidential
Quality for $1,000,000 reward

Report SOftware Piracy
>Now<

BSA
Businness Software Alliance

Ads from Toms Hardware Upper Right corner
Tom's should be getting $1,000,000 any minute now. ^_^

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Worse than software piracy is not being able to sell your product to the end consumer. They've always known this but using the very software they fight against to get software out the door shows how far across the other side of the line their soap box really is.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Its either a cookie they put in the code to ...... with people or one of the crackers from that team now works withthe company. Thats my thoughts. Its not unheard of companies employing hackers and crackers.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Welcome to the Dark Side >:) Developers realize they aren't nearly as smart as crack makers so the following applies: "If ya can't beat em, join em"

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008

as funy as the notion is this woudl never hold mustard in a court because teh no cd crack is for a game that the hackers didnt have any thing to do with making. in short the no cd- crack is a Derivative thing and people can't benifit finacially from software that is derivative of a licensed software unless they paid to license the software them selves from the license holder (rock star in the case). so such a law suit would never even hit court in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.