Question Rog CrosshairV11 Hero not recognising boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-gent

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
Hello, Just fitted this motherboard and each time I boot up I get the message "Reboot and select proper boot drive". Problem is, the correct boot drive is selected in the bios. When I get this message, I have to go into the bios and immediately select exit and save (even without changing anything) then Windows boots no problem. Next time I boot up, I have to repeat the whole process again. Any bright ideas please? I have not changed anything else in the bios, it is bulk standard and up to date.

the-gent

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
Do any of the other drives have an old os on them?
Good question. I originally had just the Old Fashioned Hard drive with Windows on it then wanted to fit an SSD. I THOUGHT that I had duplicated the image from the HD to the SSD successfully but left both in to use the HD for back ups. Recently I added the 2nd SSD and took out the HD. Without the HD I could not boot up at all, plonked it back in and hey presto, it would boot. This was all on my previous Asus motherboard which booted up perfectly (and quicker than this new one). I looked at my old HD and there is a 100mb "system reserved" sector still on there with only 64 mb free space. I have no idea if this is part that didnt get transferred over to my SSD initally, and is needed, or if it can be safely disposed of.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Try unplugging the hd and second ssd and try a restart with the new ssd. See if it boots up that way. When I had two drives both with os on it, I had to manually select the new ssd with the os on it, but would not keep the ssd in boot position. I removed the old ssd with an os on it and then was able to place the new ssd in boot position. Also make sure you are in achi mode. Mine kept auto switching it to raid until I removed the second os.

the-gent

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
Try unplugging the hd and second ssd and try a restart with the new ssd. See if it boots up that way. When I had two drives both with os on it, I had to manually select the new ssd with the os on it, but would not keep the ssd in boot position. I removed the old ssd with an os on it and then was able to place the new ssd in boot position. Also make sure you are in achi mode. Mine kept auto switching it to raid until I removed the second os.

This is odd. Removed the HD & small SSD leaving just the SSD with windows on and it refused to boot at all, no matter what I tried. Connected them all up again and it booted correctly 1st, 2nd & 3rd time !!!! I wonder what it will do tomorrow?

Thanks for your help and interest,

the-gent

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the device manager probably identified them all and updated the drivers probably.

Not so quick, its back to only booting from the bios again.

I wonder if it to do with ASUS aisuite 11. I had it for my previous motherboad and it caused BIG problems when I first tried to boot this new motherboad. I had to try and uninstall it in Windows safe mode before I could get windows to run at all. Problem is, it is stll half there and refuses to uninstall. I have searched for advice but nothing seems to get rid of it completely :-(

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Well that seems to have solved the issue. I wonder why my system does not like Fast Boot?
Great! Fast boot throws a lot of prechecking of certain things like usb, legacy, boot drive checks etc. Basically it throws out a lot of good prechecks so your computer boots up with everything it needs.Turning off fast boot ensures all things are checked before starting up, and I bet you don't even notice the difference in loading time.
So if I helped please check solved, if I deserve the credit thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.