[SOLVED] ROG fan connector and daisy chaining ?

Aug 4, 2022
Hello all, I am in the semi final stages of building my first pc. I have 10 4 pin fans, 3 for the radiator on top exhaust, 1 back exhaust, 3 side intake, 3 bottom intake. My ROG fan connector that came with the Ryujin 2 360mm AIO has 4 3 pins ARGB 3 pins and 4x4 PWM pins. The fans I got ASUS XF120x7 came with a daisy chain for 2 to 1 per box. I am wondering as far as cable management and power limits how many is safe to connect to the ROG fan hub/connector. I can link a picture if anyone would like. The ROG fan connector has a ARGB IN, SATA power, and USB connection. I imagine my AIO is controlled through this and have the 3 radiator fans daisy chained up to 1 PWM fan connection on the hub. Is this safe? Should I get another fan hub with all 4 pin pwm connections? Or should I daisy chain a few off of sys fans?

My last question would be regarding my AIO, as I stated above it has a usb connection to the ROG hub that came with it and it connects directly to it along with a USB pin for the motherboard, I am guessing that the AIO pump/cpufan will not be used or should I use them for extra fans? Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Specs:
lian li O11D XL
z790 hero maximus
asus 4090 strix
msi ai1300p 1300 watt atx 3.0
32 gb gskill ddr5 7600mhz
13900ks
7x asus rog XF120 4 pin pwm fans
asus ryujin 2 360mm AIO
2x 2tb samsung 990 pros

Last edited:
Solution
Although your mobo has a bunch of 4-pin fan headers that look alike, they are divided into three quite different types, and need to be used for the correct fans.The first group are the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers that are guided by a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. These are to be used only for cooling the CPU chip. Second is a single AIO_PUMP header to be used only for the PUMP part of an AIO system. Lastly there are FOUR CHA_FAN headers that are guided by a different temp sensor on the mobo. You should plug your CASE VENTILATION fans into these headers. Do NOT plan to plug ALL your fans into one Fan Hub.

Your AIO system is designed a little different from many others. There are TWO cables from the PUMP unit to connect. One...

Lutfij

Titan
I am in the semi final stages of building my first pc
Congratulations! :)

If you notice, the fan controller bundled with the AIO actually requires a SATA power input meaning you don't have any power limitations on said controller. So long as you can tether splitters to controller, you should be good to go. IMHO, you're good to hook up a total of 12 fans, since a 3 way splitter off of the 4 fan headers on the controller = 12 fans.

You could look into another PWM fan hub. If you did do so, you could group your fans per controller with regards to where the fans are mounted in the chassis.

Reactions: SpiderDan22

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Although your mobo has a bunch of 4-pin fan headers that look alike, they are divided into three quite different types, and need to be used for the correct fans.The first group are the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers that are guided by a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. These are to be used only for cooling the CPU chip. Second is a single AIO_PUMP header to be used only for the PUMP part of an AIO system. Lastly there are FOUR CHA_FAN headers that are guided by a different temp sensor on the mobo. You should plug your CASE VENTILATION fans into these headers. Do NOT plan to plug ALL your fans into one Fan Hub.

Your AIO system is designed a little different from many others. There are TWO cables from the PUMP unit to connect. One goes to a mobo USB2 header, and it provides power to that pump and a communication channel to it from a software utility that you run under Windows. The second goes to a small socket on the Fan Controller Box, and this is how that box communicates with that software tool. You actually do NOT plug anything from this AIO system into the mobo CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, or AIO_PUMP_ headers.

Now, the Fan Controller box also has other connections to be made. It has a wide socket on one end where you plug in a SATA power output connector from the PSU to supply power to the box, its fans and the fan lights IF you have lighted fans. It has a cable to connect from a socket to a mobo ARGB header for control of light displays in the fans IF you have lighted fans. And of course, it has four sockets each for the motors and the lights of four fans.

Note that connecting things this way as intended can cause a small issue mentioned in the system's manual. The mobo CPU_FAN header expects to receive a fan speed signal from its fan and will warn you prominently if it has NO such signal. That WILL happen here because there is nothing plugged into that header. The manual advises you to go into BIOS Setup for that CPU_FAN header (see below) and DISable monitoring of fan speed so you do not keep getting that warning.

NOW we come to your other fans used for general case ventilation - 3 side, 3 bottom, 1 rear. These should be connected to some of the four CHA_FAN headers. I suggest you get two simple SPLITTERS with 3 output arms each, similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Extension-Converter-Sleeved-Computer/dp/B0B398L8V5/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QCPP2Y461032&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1678384208&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,103&sr=8-2

Note that these are SPLITTERS. Each has one input connector to plug into a mobo fan header, and three outputs for fans, and NO other connections. A HUB is a different type of device that also has a third connection arm that goes to a SATA power output from the PSU; you do NOT need one of those. I suggest you use one of these to connect the three bottom fans to one CHA_FAN header, the other for the three side fans, and connect the single rear fan just to a third CHA_FAN header. Configure all of these exactly the same and all those seven fans will do the same thing. The max current draw specs for your fans are 0.09A, so having three of them connected to a single header using a Splitter is entirely acceptable - each header limit is 1.0 A max load.

Get the BIOS Manual for your mobo here if you don't have it already

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_MAXIMUS_Z790_HERO/E21287_ROG_Z790_Series_BIOS_Manual_EM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO

Go to p. 6 to start. To enter BIOS Setup I find you should HOLD DOWN the DEL key immediately after start-up so that the keypress is recognized and you do get in; release when the opening screen shows. In EZ Mode click on QFAN Control at bottom centre to reach the QFan screens (p. 80). In Advanced Mode click on Monitor in the top menu list, then on p. 79 choose QFan Configuration. There you can choose each fan header and configure it separately. For the CPU_FAN header, you only need to set the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit to "Ignore" so you will not get warnings as above. For each CHA_FAN header in use, I suggest you start with:
PWM Mode ( for 4-pin fans)
STANDARD Profile - automatic control of speed according to mobo temperature using pre-set "curve" of fan speed versus temp
Chassis Fan Q-Fan Source set to Motherboard
Chassis Fan Speed Low Limit to 300 RPM but adjust if this allows your fans to stall without warnings

After making all your adjustments, use Esc back to the Main Menu, then F10 to reach the Exit Menu (p. 99). There choose Save Changes & Reset to save your settings and reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderDan22
Solution
Aug 4, 2022

Your AIO system is designed a little different from many others. There are TWO cables from the PUMP unit to connect. One goes to a mobo USB2 header, and it provides power to that pump and a communication channel to it from a software utility that you run under Windows. The second goes to a small socket on the Fan Controller Box, and this is how that box communicates with that software tool. You actually do NOT plug anything from this AIO system into the mobo CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, or AIO_PUMP_ headers.

Now, the Fan Controller box also has other connections to be made. It has a wide socket on one end where you plug in a SATA power output connector from the PSU to supply power to the box, its fans and the fan lights IF you have lighted fans. It has a cable to connect from a socket to a mobo ARGB header for control of light displays in the fans IF you have lighted fans. And of course, it has four sockets each for the motors and the lights of four fans.

Note that connecting things this way as intended can cause a small issue mentioned in the system's manual. The mobo CPU_FAN header expects to receive a fan speed signal from its fan and will warn you prominently if it has NO such signal. That WILL happen here because there is nothing plugged into that header. The manual advises you to go into BIOS Setup for that CPU_FAN header (see below) and DISable monitoring of fan speed so you do not keep getting that warning.

NOW we come to your other fans used for general case ventilation - 3 side, 3 bottom, 1 rear. These should be connected to some of the four CHA_FAN headers. I suggest you get two simple SPLITTERS with 3 output arms each, similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Extension-Converter-Sleeved-Computer/dp/B0B398L8V5/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QCPP2Y461032&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1678384208&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,103&sr=8-2

Note that these are SPLITTERS. Each has one input connector to plug into a mobo fan header, and three outputs for fans, and NO other connections. A HUB is a different type of device that also has a third connection arm that goes to a SATA power output from the PSU; you do NOT need one of those. I suggest you use one of these to connect the three bottom fans to one CHA_FAN header, the other for the three side fans, and connect the single rear fan just to a third CHA_FAN header. Configure all of these exactly the same and all those seven fans will do the same thing. The max current draw specs for your fans are 0.09A, so having three of them connected to a single header using a Splitter is entirely acceptable - each header limit is 1.0 A max load.

Get the BIOS Manual for your mobo here if you don't have it already

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_MAXIMUS_Z790_HERO/E21287_ROG_Z790_Series_BIOS_Manual_EM_WEB.pdf?model=ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO

Go to p. 6 to start. To enter BIOS Setup I find you should HOLD DOWN the DEL key immediately after start-up so that the keypress is recognized and you do get in; release when the opening screen shows. In EZ Mode click on QFAN Control at bottom centre to reach the QFan screens (p. 80). In Advanced Mode click on Monitor in the top menu list, then on p. 79 choose QFan Configuration. There you can choose each fan header and configure it separately. For the CPU_FAN header, you only need to set the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit to "Ignore" so you will not get warnings as above. For each CHA_FAN header in use, I suggest you start with:
PWM Mode ( for 4-pin fans)
STANDARD Profile - automatic control of speed according to mobo temperature using pre-set "curve" of fan speed versus temp
Chassis Fan Q-Fan Source set to Motherboard
Chassis Fan Speed Low Limit to 300 RPM but adjust if this allows your fans to stall without warnings

After making all your adjustments, use Esc back to the Main Menu, then F10 to reach the Exit Menu (p. 99). There choose Save Changes & Reset to save your settings and reboot.
Great info thank you so much, I did turn it on to post, post completed without issue and I was able to enter bios. I have 1 y splitter for 2 fans on sys fan 1 at the top by AIO_PUMP and CPU_FAN. I will disable CPU FAN as in BIOS it was reading my CPU temp and MOBO temp accurately from what I can tell. It also acknowledged my RAM, CPU, and M.2s. I think I am ready to install windows once I get the bios settings all ready to go. I ended up running 3 splitters on the hub for my chassis fans and there is seemingly no issue as far as power req. I will have to control them via the AIO software however and then for my exhaust back fan and 1 of the side intake fans I have them split on the cha fan 1 header. so I have 5 y split to the hub and my radiator fans 3 to 1 split on it as well for a total of 8 fans running on the hub. During startup I didnt notice any odd noises or anything too concerning. I think my AIO pump running for the first time gave a couple noises but I will check it all (cable connections, wire management, ram and pcie slots, cable management, and clearance for fans) again before altering settings and attempting to install windows 10. Thank you so much for the detailed info I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022
I am in the semi final stages of building my first pc
Congratulations! :)

If you notice, the fan controller bundled with the AIO actually requires a SATA power input meaning you don't have any power limitations on said controller. So long as you can tether splitters to controller, you should be good to go. IMHO, you're good to hook up a total of 12 fans, since a 3 way splitter off of the 4 fan headers on the controller = 12 fans.

You could look into another PWM fan hub. If you did do so, you could group your fans per controller with regards to where the fans are mounted in the chassis.
Thank you! I was up late trying to find the right question to ask google about the fan hubs and finally found the reddits I needed to figure out that if the hub is powered by a dedicated SATA connection I should be fine to Y split off of it. I'm really excited but have to tone myself down a touch to make sure all the BIOS is accurate and reading the right stuff and get windows on there as well. Thank you guys very much for the info and responses I really do appreciate it being a first timer to pc building and the forums!!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Info on power limits for fan MOTORS when using a HUB.

A Hub draws no power from the host mobo header, so that header's limit does not matter. The Hub gets all its power from a PSU power output, most commonly from a SATA connector. That type of connector can supply up to 4.5 A max current load from its 12 VDC lines, and that's the power set fans use. So that's the limit for the TOTAL fan load on a Hub. Now the Hub has several output ports and the limit on EACH port is not very clear, but it might be 1.0 A per port - maybe more, but almost never specified. Still, that means that you CAN use simple Splitters that convert each port to several outputs within that limit. Given that most fans today pull 0.10 to 0.25 A max current, you might connect four or five fans to EACH of four output ports. Almost nobody tries to fit that many fans into one case!

There are a few computer case fans that use higher currents (e.g some Noctua iPPC fans) up to 0.6 A max. Beyond that, some people choose industrial-style case fans for rack systems that use even higher current to deliver much higher air flows. With these, same as "regular" fans, get the max current spec and use that to calculate the load of a multi-fan connection scheme.

Instead of Splitters or Hubs connected to mobo headers, some systems use third-party fan Controller boxes. These come with their own specs for max current per port, and total for the unit. Use these in calculations for such systems.

TRENDING THREADS