[SOLVED] Rog maximus viii hero tpm

Nov 6, 2021
I have an asus maximus viii hero on the latest bios version. There is no option in the bios for ptt/tpm but on the motherboard there is a 14-1 pin tpm header.

If I buy an asus tpm 2.0 board to plug into it will it work or not?

Solution
I have read that other people with tpm capable motherboards and older cpus have successfully installed windows 11 without any issue it's just getting past the tpm 2.0 just need to know if I brought it for my motherboard as the socket is there would it work as the bios I can't find any tpm/ptt in there
Yes, people have.
A LOT of that (almost all?) was from the Dev/Beta releases, which had far less restrictions for CPU and TPM.

Will you still be using this system to game on 3-4 years from now?
Doubtful.

Except for the 'ooh shiny', there is NO performance benefit for Win 11 vs Win 10.

Most of my house systems are not "Win 11 capable", as told to me by MS.
Yet their performance is exactly as it was a month ago, before Win 11 was...
Nov 6, 2021
I have an asus maximus viii hero on the latest bios version. There is no option in the bios for ptt/tpm but on the motherboard there is a 14-1 pin tpm header.

If I buy an asus tpm 2.0 board to plug into it will it work or not?

Nov 6, 2021
What CPU is in this?

Are you looking for the TPM for Win 11 capability?

It's got an Intel i5 6600k in it and yes would like to upgrade to Windows 11 but don't really want to upgrade motherboard and processor just because Microsoft have implemented tpm on Windows 11 when the computer is still more than powerful enough to run things like cyberpunk 2077 on ultra HD and medium 4k and warzone on ultra. It just seems a bit bonkers to upgrade when it's still more than capable of out preforming a ps4.

USAFRet

Titan
It's got an Intel i5 6600k in it and yes would like to upgrade to Windows 11 but don't really want to upgrade motherboard and processor just because Microsoft have implemented tpm on Windows 11 when the computer is still more than powerful enough to run things like cyberpunk 2077 on ultra HD and medium 4k and warzone on ultra. It just seems a bit bonkers to upgrade when it's still more than capable of out preforming a ps4.
The 6th Gen Intel is off the bottom of the supported list for Win 11.
Your existing Win 10 is supported until Oct 2025.

Just leave it as is...there it NO compelling reason to try to force Win 11 on this system.

Reactions: Quintus_Sheer
Nov 6, 2021

I have read that other people with tpm capable motherboards and older cpus have successfully installed windows 11 without any issue it's just getting past the tpm 2.0 just need to know if I brought it for my motherboard as the socket is there would it work as the bios I can't find any tpm/ptt in there

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, people have.
A LOT of that (almost all?) was from the Dev/Beta releases, which had far less restrictions for CPU and TPM.

Will you still be using this system to game on 3-4 years from now?
Doubtful.

Except for the 'ooh shiny', there is NO performance benefit for Win 11 vs Win 10.

Most of my house systems are not "Win 11 capable", as told to me by MS.
Yet their performance is exactly as it was a month ago, before Win 11 was released on Oct 5. Or 6 months ago, before we heard the first whiff of Win 11.

I suspect your current system is the same.

I see NO compelling reason to try to forcefit Win 11 onto an older system that is not natively compatible.

Solution
Nov 6, 2021
Ok makes sense I've been reading that all intel i5s from 6th gen support tpm 2.0 it just depends on motherboards supporting tpm 2.0

I guess it will make sense to wait and see as from what I read some intel i5 7th gens are being tested for potential support. And where its been sort of rushed out by Microsoft there potentially a chance that over time they will increase supported hardware list and when that happens the motherboards asus have tpm headers on will get a bios update to enable them.

If not 3-4 years time depending on money situation I would be looking to update the motherboard and processor and graphics card as that's all that really needs to be upgraded as games start demanding more from the machine

USAFRet

Titan
Ok makes sense I've been reading that all intel i5s from 6th gen support tpm 2.0 it just depends on motherboards supporting tpm 2.0

I guess it will make sense to wait and see as from what I read some intel i5 7th gens are being tested for potential support. And where its been sort of rushed out by Microsoft there potentially a chance that over time they will increase supported hardware list and when that happens the motherboards asus have tpm headers on will get a bios update to enable them.

If not 3-4 years time depending on money situation I would be looking to update the motherboard and processor and graphics card as that's all that really needs to be upgraded as games start demanding more from the machine
Currently, 8th gen Intel, and a couple of specific 7th Gen chips.
Nothing earlier.

Of course, that may change over time.
Wait and see what happens.
If nothing else...2023-2024...upgrade/replace your current system, which will be near a decade old by then.