Question ROG MAXIMUS Z790 DARK HERO CMOS BATTERY

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Probably a bit of a stupid question but I'm still curious to know the reason
I bought a new motherboard, apparently some accessories were missing in the box, after I expressed my dissatisfaction they were given extra
The interesting thing is that the brand of the battery is not KTS, but DBV
Isn't this a brand for laptops or ?
What is the reason that desktop motherboards come with such batteries that are obviously not official, or maybe for certain countries?
Apparently, ASUS does not want to answer this question either.
I have no problem with the brand, but the reason for this discrepancy

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
The CMOS battery is a standard CR2032 coin cell. It doesn't matter who makes it. I put Energizer brand ones (only because it's the one my local store carries) in my motherboards if they need a replacement.
Yes I agree, but my idea is different to ask this.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
It may be simply down to who had the cheapest or which one was available in the quantities they needed at the time. It's not like choosing one over the other in this scenario has any implications like company X is worse than company Y.
I really hope I didn't pay that much for a second-rate product
Or that it is not SOME RMA PRODUCT

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
It's an easily replaceable CR2032 battery and they're relatively cheap. I wouldn't care if they replaced it with a Dollar Store special that died in a year.

And at least you can replace it. Motherboards used to come with soldered on CMOS batteries.
Yes, I know that.
My concerns were about where this board was, who did what to it and possibly if the battery was changed if it was just that.
I don't have a problem with the brand of the battery, just that it's not the official one
I don't know that ASUS officially uses DBV?
I could be wrong, because this is the first factory battery I've come across
There are things written about California Proposition 65 as well
Maybe it was for the US
I've seen the same battery, on the same motherboards on YouTube reviews
So my thought is, isn't it some product from the reviews?
Otherwise, I have no problem replacing the battery with the one I want, but that's not the goal

I don't have a problem with the brand of the battery, just that it's not the official one
I don't know that ASUS officially uses DBV?
Unless ASUS has a specific recommendation listed somewhere, there is no "official battery." Again, it could be that whatever brand they chose could've been more economical at the time, it was the only on available in the amount they needed, or both.

Reactions: adrifoxbg

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Unless ASUS has a specific recommendation listed somewhere, there is no "official battery." Again, it could be that whatever brand they chose could've been more economical at the time, it was the only on available in the amount they needed, or both.
Apparently I can't explain it exactly.
It's not the battery itself or the brand, but the origin of the board
I have other doubts, the battery is just one of them.
I also have a battery that I can put in, and I say again, the battery itself is not a problem, but what was touched on this board and by whom

Apparently I can't explain it exactly.
It's not the battery itself or the brand, but the origin of the board
I have other doubts, the battery is just one of them.
I also have a battery that I can put in, and I say again, the battery itself is not a problem, but what was touched on this board and by whom
I get what you're saying. But from my understanding you're also saying that supposedly there's an brand of battery that ASUS always uses, you don't see this brand of battery in your board, and that's the source of your doubts that the board was touched by someone else before getting to you.

However, I'm saying unless ASUS actually recommends a specific brand, then it doesn't really matter what was put on the board out of the factory because it was whatever battery the factory had at the time. And whatever battery they had could be anything for a couple of reasons.

Reactions: adrifoxbg

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
I get what you're saying. But from my understanding you're also saying that supposedly there's an brand of battery that ASUS always uses, you don't see this brand of battery in your board, and that's the source of your doubts that the board was touched by someone else before getting to you.

However, I'm saying unless ASUS actually recommends a specific brand, then it doesn't really matter what was put on the board out of the factory because it was whatever battery the factory had at the time. And whatever battery they had could be anything for a couple of reasons.
Exactly
After all, I already have two motherboards, the other is HERO, sitting in the box due to bent pins on the socket from some repair shop, I paid more money for a second motherboard and now this.
And I watched Steve Ng's video
anyway, I'm waiting for a response from customer support