ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING bios/divers update????

zpirit

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Edit : (my ethernet was working before I restarted my computer)my ethernet cable is showing flashing orange lights and there is no connection on windows 10, I've read it could be due to not doing motherboard's drivers/bios(is it the same thing?) update, I've never did it before so I don't know how it works and it seems like I can't find any drivers for my motherboard on the asus website, If you guys can help me that would be awesome! thanks.

my mobo : ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING

Solution
Drivers work on OS level. For example if you had machine that runs both Windows and Linux you need to install drivers for each of those OS separately. BIOS update works on hardware level, once it is done it works for all systems you run on given PC. Difference here is crucial: you should keep DRIVERS up to date (meaning you should install new versions when they show up); but you should ONLY update BIOS when you have a problem that such update is supposed to resolve. Why? Because updating BIOS is risky - failure to do so properly or sometimes just bad luck can cause update to fail, and this usually ends in bricked board (meaning you have to buy new one).

Now, back to your problem. If it was working and now is not, it still could be...

zpirit

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
thanks, but the weird thing is that ethernet worked before, I restarted my pc and then ethernet isn't working anymore, could it still be LAN drivers? and I still want to update my drivers/bios because people told me it's important to do sometimes and I've never made it before so I wanna learn how to do it properly at the same time, I just don't find any drivers\bios(could you explain the difference?) download link for my mobo

Drivers work on OS level. For example if you had machine that runs both Windows and Linux you need to install drivers for each of those OS separately. BIOS update works on hardware level, once it is done it works for all systems you run on given PC. Difference here is crucial: you should keep DRIVERS up to date (meaning you should install new versions when they show up); but you should ONLY update BIOS when you have a problem that such update is supposed to resolve. Why? Because updating BIOS is risky - failure to do so properly or sometimes just bad luck can cause update to fail, and this usually ends in bricked board (meaning you have to buy new one).

Now, back to your problem. If it was working and now is not, it still could be caused by drivers, but only if Windows has changed them in meantime (Win 10 can do that). But anyway in such situation your first step is to reinstall newest LAN drivers just to make sure it's not them. If it won't help, you have to check if cable/router if they still work fine. If still nothing, you are facing probable motherboard hardware failure.

Solution

xxBlackSoulxx

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
I have the exact same problem. I've searching for the solution since past month but haven't been able to. I would be very grateful if someone can help. Please!!!
And one more thing, it works sometimes when I plug the Ethernet cable in and out continuously. I don't know how it works but its kind of luck for me now, else I tether my wifi via usb from my phone. The pain is real ;_;

Feb 26, 2018
I just built my new rig with this motherboard and was having the same issue. Every time I booted windows, it might show connected for 20 seconds or so, then windows would stop the onboard ethernet device.

The only thing that seems to have fixed it is using the ez wizard tuning (F11) in the bios. Hopefully this helps.