Question ROG STRIX G17 2021 AMD RYZEN 7 5800H CPU temps HIGHER than USUAL

Jul 6, 2022
Hey there! I'm going to make this short and quick, in the last few days something quite odd has happened, I usually used to run games like Roblox on 50-55 temp, Valorant on hardly above 60. Now, however, my Roblox likes to go to 65 and my Valorant 70.

My idle temps have also changed, idling at about 55 on average

Any advice would be appreciated!

NOTE: I know a lot of people are probably going to tell me that these are normal temperatures and actually good ones too, but I'm not asking if my temps are good or not,
I'm trying to troubleshoot why my temps went up
2nd NOTE: It can't be because of room temps because my room is always same temp

KyaraM

Admirable
Mar 11, 2022
Might need a cleaning. I would try to open the laptop and blow out any dust trapped inside the ventilation system with an air can or something. But seriously, those temps are far from critical, so no real reason to get concerned.

Jul 6, 2022
Might need a cleaning. I would try to open the laptop and blow out any dust trapped inside the ventilation system with an air can or something. But seriously, those temps are far from critical, so no real reason to get concerned.
Yes, I know, but as I stated I'm trying to figure out why I went from 55 degrees in the lobby of valorant to 65 in the lobby, and 70 in the game.
Also, I don't think theres dust in there, I might do it

Jul 6, 2022

Colif

Win 11 Master
so if bios is updated, it might be other drivers need to be as well to adjust to changes in bios. It doesn't help the bios don't say what they changed, just that they optimise system performance.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see if I can find any files to update.

I wonder if its an Asus program causing it. I don't see AI suite mentioned but I do see Armory crate.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
Jul 6, 2022
so if bios is updated, it might be other drivers need to be as well to adjust to changes in bios. It doesn't help the bios don't say what they changed, just that they optimise system performance.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

I see if I can find any files to update.

I wonder if its an Asus program causing it. I don't see AI suite mentioned but I do see Armory crate.
I actually went ahead and downgraded the Bios from 318 to 316 and I can say that it made my computer run faster for some unknown reason, but temps didn't go down that much and still get like sometimes 10 more than usual.

Anyway I did what you requested and I uploaded the image,
Screenshot by Lightshot (prnt.sc)
That ^ is the driver list you requested, from name to creation date.

And thank you in advance <3

Jul 6, 2022
speedfan? does it work on your PC? I don't think it knows what Ryzen is. I stopped using it 2 years ago.
its not likely to be problem, just surprised to see it.

Try running this and see if it has anything new - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-131
updating Ryzenmaster might help as well, although the updater above might do that anyway.
Oh speedfan doesn't work, neither does Ryzen Master, but I tried running that thing u sent but no results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, it just stops non microsoft programs runnning at startup. easily reversed.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I am just wondering if its an Asus program/driver

I would test safe mode but you can't play games in safe mode. You can't check temps in safe mode so its kind of pointless.

Jul 6, 2022
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, it just stops non microsoft programs runnning at startup. easily reversed.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I am just wondering if its an Asus program/driver

I would test safe mode but you can't play games in safe mode. You can't check temps in safe mode so its kind of pointless.

Hey there, I did it and it looks like it lowered the temps by quite a bit, now the max it went was 63, EVEN after I set the graphics to MAX on valorant, anyhow, even if it lowered the temps by quite a bit, isn't that just the result of turning off literally every service? Which puts less stress on the cpu?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So a clean boot fixed it?

So what did you stop? As one of the programs is the reason it changed.

Clean boot is a test, I wasn't suggesting you stay in it. But it lets us figure out what is cause.

What you can do now is add something back to startup, and only add something else if it hasn't changed the temperatures. One app at a time until we find the one to blame. I suspect its Asus.

Jul 6, 2022
So a clean boot fixed it?

So what did you stop? As one of the programs is the reason it changed.

Clean boot is a test, I wasn't suggesting you stay in it. But it lets us figure out what is cause.

What you can do now is add something back to startup, and only add something else if it hasn't changed the temperatures. One app at a time until we find the one to blame. I suspect its Asus.
Sounds good, i'll get to it once I have time.