[SOLVED] ROG STRIX RTX 2080 8GB or EVGA RTX 3060 12GB

Solution
i see, also which one is better at overclocking?
I wouldn't let that influence the purchase. Gpu Boost, introduced since the 10 series, is the biggest obstacle to gpu OC.
It draws most of the performance out of the card already. That's no fun =(
Simply raising clocks isn't as productive as it once was; it increases requested voltage, which increases power use, which increases thermals. Gpu Boost will throttle back over every little thing:
Lower thermals = higher sustained boost clocks
Running into voltage and power limits less frequently, or not at all = more room to boost

It's more productive to just keep the card cool:
There's no dynamic voltage control. I believe Nvidia did that to reduce the rate of RMAs; old models had it...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i see, also which one is better at overclocking?
I wouldn't let that influence the purchase. Gpu Boost, introduced since the 10 series, is the biggest obstacle to gpu OC.
It draws most of the performance out of the card already. That's no fun =(
Simply raising clocks isn't as productive as it once was; it increases requested voltage, which increases power use, which increases thermals. Gpu Boost will throttle back over every little thing:
Lower thermals = higher sustained boost clocks
Running into voltage and power limits less frequently, or not at all = more room to boost

It's more productive to just keep the card cool:
There's no dynamic voltage control. I believe Nvidia did that to reduce the rate of RMAs; old models had it, but there were more gpu deaths to manual overvoltage.
The power limits are pretty conservative as is. There's really not much room to push them after Gpu Boost has done its thing.
If Gpu Boost already gets like an extra 400-600mhz over the base clock with good cooling... that little extra you might push past that is trivial.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution