[SOLVED] ROG Strix X370-F Booting bios problem

Jan 15, 2019
Build:
Asus ROG Strix X370-F gaming mb
Ryzen 5 1600 3.2mhz. 6 core cpu
MSI 1070 8gb Armor gpu
Gskill 2x8gb 3200mhz ddr4 ram

I currently have been trouble shooting not being able to boot windows and even fresh installs but I cant not boot it as I was getting the code telling me that software or hardware is broke. But now I know its not the windows as it now wont post at all.

The QLED yields a quick white LED, long yellow LED, and long red LED. Then after a while it goes white long until turned off. This should mean the gpu is broken. But every now and then it post and there is no problem showing that everything is working.

This inconsistency makes this hard to diagnose. I am down to trying to figure what to replace as there is obviously something wrong. Or else it would post consistently.

Solutions tried:
CMOS reset.
Booting with 1 ram stick and alternating ram sticks.
booting without hdd or ssd (yields the results of either going to bios or QLED problem.)

UPDATE!!!!
After spending 3 days of trouble shooting and many people talked to. What has be discern is that
the ram is fine, the gpu is fine, the cpu also fine. LEAVING the motherboard as the source of the inconsistent failures. Somewhere along the south bridge is some sort of damage yielding failure. Right now buying a new motherboard to replace will be in Saturday to repair and test if all is good.

Test that confirmed hardware is safe:
Ram: Testing individual sticks in the current build then inserting them into a new build showing that they are fully functional. Also showed no signs of failure.

GPU: Tested on a different set up confirming that it works, also that we are still getting video that is not artifacting or pixilating in the bios screen confirms when it pass post now 1 out of 8 restarts about now.

CPU: Clean cut it wouldnt boot if broken, also reset by taking it out checking pins and placing it back into the system.

This is also cross posted to reddit to see what they think, still going through with replacement of the board.

Solution
After doing diagnostics with the motherboard I test new Gpu, ram, psu, motherboard, and cpu. Lone behold the cpu was damaged and what it could be seen from was heat damage. Which surprised me, however explains everything. When the cpu was cool it would boot but the more use it got the inconsistency started. So I replaced it and everything thing is back to working good.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While independently the RAM might be fine, playing nice with a Ryzen platform is no guarantee.
What is the full model number of your kit of memory?

Your QLED codes correspond to CPU, VGA, RAM and "boot"..... You're describing white, yellows & reds...... For which LED, specifically?
A solid/long red LED on a given component will give you a good starting point.

Jan 15, 2019
After doing diagnostics with the motherboard I test new Gpu, ram, psu, motherboard, and cpu. Lone behold the cpu was damaged and what it could be seen from was heat damage. Which surprised me, however explains everything. When the cpu was cool it would boot but the more use it got the inconsistency started. So I replaced it and everything thing is back to working good.

Solution