Question ROG STRIX Z790-F DRAM yellow light on after upgrad the ram

Oct 19, 2023
Hi,

My current setup is:

CPU: Intel i9-13900K

RAM: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz (Team T-Delta RGB)

MOTHERBOARD:ROG STRIX Z790-F

GPU:ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090

PSU:CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 1250

The issue is I want to upgrade my RAM to CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MHz CL40 (CMT64GX5M2B6000C40) but sadly it seems that I can't even boot or enter in bios .
First, I put the new RAM into slot2 and 4, the yellow light on. and then I try to put the old RAM back to see if the new RAM has the problem. the yellow light still on. So, I put the new RAM into slot1 and 3, the computer is booted and it's running good without issue at 4000mhz. but when i try to enable XMP, the yellow light turn on, the system cannot boot.

what's the next step should I try? try to clean the CMOS? any thoughts would be appreciated!

Nov 21, 2023
I had this issue not long ago. Am using an Asus B650e-f board with a 7900x and got a bundle with some 64gb 6000Mhz ram. Posted and I was able to install windows, but after a restart while installing updates, it never boot again.
Short version: the ram wasn't on the QVL list and wasn't technically compatible with the board. Gettign some new sticks and slotting them in worked after I spent a day and a half troubleshooting.
Nothing worked even when I cleared the CMOS or flashed every single other bios version while using a single stick in every slot. I had brute forced just about everything there was to do , even messed with some other components thinking they were causing issues like the SSD or CPU. Nothing worked.
Thankfully you're on an intel, so there should be fewer incompatibilities or issues that might be caused by the CPU. But you need to go to Asus' website and check the board's memory compatibility list. If your ram isn't on there, chances are it just won't work, even if you're on the latest bios. ESPECIALLY since you're on an Asus board.
And if it is on there, then update to their latest bios using flashback since you can't boot. If that doesn't work, clear the CMOS and try again. If that doesn't work, loosen up the seating on your CPU cooler. Heard somewhere over tight coolers could mess with pin alignment or whatever.
And if absolutely nothing works? Get new ram. If that doesn't work? New mobo. Either send it back for a swap or just refund and get another. I'd stay away from Asus for the time being. Go MSI or something, maybe ASRock.

Edit: Reread your post and thought of something. 64gb ram sticks don't tend to fare well when clocked to anything higher than stock. That alone could be causing your issue. So since that would be the case, clearing your CMOS would reset the timings and speed back to default and at least get it to boot.