Roku Intros Pretty New 3rd-Gen Streaming Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Was this known to be in the works? I don't mean just speculated either. I did catch wind of the new streaming stick but not this. Just kinda disappointed I got a Roku 2 XS for X-Mas and it is already out of date hardware. Bummer :\

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
As much as I used to want a Roku, I decided to get an OUYA instead.
By the time I get one in, it'll do everything Roku does plus play android games, emulators and play streaming games from my pc.
Now if they dropped the price sub $50 it might be worth giving a second look, but at the $99 price point the only thing Roku has going for it is a snazzy remote.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]As much as I used to want a Roku, I decided to get an OUYA instead.By the time I get one in, it'll do everything Roku does plus play android games, emulators and play streaming games from my pc.Now if they dropped the price sub $50 it might be worth giving a second look, but at the $99 price point the only thing Roku has going for it is a snazzy remote.[/citation]

Ouya cost $150, you can have a roku for much less but the roku is appealing for people who don't have a smart tv, smart blu-ray player or don't want to connect the laptop every single time they want to stream something online. My biggest complain with my Roku is that it doesn't support multiple video formats like other similar devices.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Ouya cost $150, you can have a roku for much less but the roku is appealing for people who don't have a smart tv, smart blu-ray player or don't want to connect the laptop every single time they want to stream something online. My biggest complain with my Roku is that it doesn't support multiple video formats like other similar devices.[/citation]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya
$150 (US) is the price for an OUYA with a 2nd controller, $99 (US) is base price for a console and single controller.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
For my family I would still tell them to get a Roku over an OUYA. It's purpose built for streaming and it just works. OUYA will get the job done but probably not with as much simplicity, though it can do more there is no arguing that. And when you have remotes for the cable box, tv, dvd/vhs player, and roku having that simplicity in something is a breath of fresh air. Even for me working the TV/DVD/VHS/Cable can get confusing but the Roku on the other hand is dead simple, for the others theres too many remotes and overlap in what things do.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
According to wikipedia it uses Broadcom ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core. Why couldn't they use A15 instead??
Toms, do you think you could do a review and compare it to Western Digital TV Live?

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Can you get youtube in roku now?
The last time I was shopping for a non-tech friend, I was going to go with Roku but the lack of youtube forced me to buy WD Live TV.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Can you get youtube in roku now?The last time I was shopping for a non-tech friend, I was going to go with Roku but the lack of youtube forced me to buy WD Live TV.[/citation]
[citation][nom]anathema_forever[/nom]I am asume the roku still can't stream stuff off your network without a 3rd party setup like playon or whatever.[/citation]

As far as I'm concerned, yes it still doesn't support network streaming. Playon works but isn't free.

I've found Plex to work well with multiple formats and does support a crappy version of youtube as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.