Round-Up: 10 mSATA SSDs From Adata, Crucial, Mushkin, And OCZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Nice to see mSATA SSD's performing so well. Looks like laptops can now benefit from SSD's without having to compromise on storage space by giving up HDD's.

Also the award is something new. I guess the "Recommended" and "Approved" awards are gone for 2013?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]Nice to see mSATA SSD's performing so well. Looks like laptops can now benefit from SSD's without having to compromise on storage space by giving up HDD's.Also the award is something new. I guess the "Recommended" and "Approved" awards are gone for 2013?[/citation]
Approved is still one of the awards we're using. Recommended Buy is replaced by Smart Buy to better-convey the emphasis on value, and Best Of is replaced by Elite to better convey the emphasis on "this is the best damn product in the segment that we can recommend." Elites will continue to be something you rarely ever see, except when we want to make a point to honor a piece of hardware.

Excellent article. Nice. Much better than typical.

Some discussion of trim, and the effects of using drives with a few days of use would have been good. The assumption is that the 'clean drive' performance tested is a good indicator of what people will see when they've used the drive for a month needs to be tested, the perforamnce order might change sharply. A 6 hour random write workload would go a long way to showing what to expect. Especially given the broken TRIM on SF 5 firmware and the slow speed of the fixes to existing SF drives.

I've got a 256GB Crucial M4 in the little clip on my Maximus V Gene as the boot drive. It's been performing flawlessly there for months.
That's a bit crazy I know, but I had originally had it on the underside of an AZRock Z77E-ITX board until that board died.

edlivian

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
oh great, now newegg and crucial are going to jack up the prices on the m4 line.

I love the m4 drives, but now its going to get too much attention.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]May I ask why is the Samsung 830 msata drive not present in this review?as I recall it outperforms the M4 and all the drives here.[/citation]
Because they are pretty much EOL with the 840 series out.

I want to know when AMD laptops are going to start including msata slots... It is the budget laptop guys that would get the best benefit from msata with a standard HDD together...

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]May I ask why is the Samsung 830 msata drive not present in this review?as I recall it outperforms the M4 and all the drives here.[/citation]

Cause it's not available in retail.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

zilexa

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I don't understand why a full blown Samsung 830 SSD needs HALF the energy power compared to Crucial mSATA 64GB.. The mSATA thingie is soo small but needs twice as much power (0.89watt compared to Samsung full SSD 0.4 watt) when idle!?

Can anyone explain this please? Would be great if you could also test the Samsung 830 mSATA drive (it exists).

Pegger 3D

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
my 2 cents:

I think this comparison is flawed. The Mushkin SSD test is the Atlas model, which is slower and cheaper than the Mushkin DX-7 Deluxe. The DX-7 would be near or at the top of the list.

Pegger 3D

medeiom

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm still a bit puzzled as to why Crucial m4 is considered faster than the Mushkin and AData mSATA ssd's. Mushkin and AData have both Read/Write well over 500 MB/s....and the Crucial is around 500 Read to 244Write. How is that considered the best?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

msahni

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi there,

I am contemplating buying mSATA drives 240GB-256GB range. It is really becoming confusing to purchase a drive considering so many different specs.
My options are
1) Crucial m4 mSATA 256GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148613

2) Plextor M5M 256GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249031

3) Intel SSD 525 240GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167146

4) Mushkin Enhanced Atlas 240GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226321

I have not been able to get a head to head comparison of the drives anywhere. Most of the tech spec shootouts are of these drives against SSDs or older models.
Could you please advise which of these drives in your opinion would be the most eligible buy in a real world consumer scenario..

Cheers....

The Crucial M4 has the advantage of not being a Sandfarce drive, so IMHO its reliability is likely to be higher. I am using one as my boot drive (yes, it's mSATA, on my Asus mobo's mSATA card), and it works quite well. Before putting it there, it was the boot drive on the underside of an ASRock Z77E-ITX, and worked well there too until that board died of unrelated causes.

durylmartin

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I have a laptop with the pm830 samsung 256gb. I'm considering going to the 840 pro to save on power mostly(the pm830 is a very quick drive, I doubt I would see much real performance change). The thing is I have scoured everywhere looking for real power consumption data on the pm830 and have not found one anywhere.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

The 830 uses, what, like a watt. Don't upgrade, it won't make any tangible difference at all. Not in battery life or electrical costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.