Roundup: Four 790FX Socket AM3 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

judeh101

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]NitroSuperSonic[/nom]AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition(2.80 GHz, 86.0 MB Cache)I never knew any AMD processors had that much cache![/citation]

Super CPU!

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
sorry about the double post but i would have liked to have seen these benchmarked with two 4870x2's... since they keep talking about them so much.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Super CPU fixed ;)

Not much point in throwing that much GPU horsepower at a motherboard review; the card Thomas used is our current reference--and it's more than ample for showcasing the differences between these boards.

If you want to see quad-CrossFire for any specific reason, feel free to let us know and we can put together a story idea!

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I think people would like to see a dual-295/dual-4870x2 series of benches if only for the "OMG BEASTLY!" factor. I dunno. XD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]ifko_pifko[/nom]"Asus has clear performance leadership,..." :)))1.66% better than the worst performer in the tests. :)[/citation]

Consistent would have been better if not for the fear of people pointing out ever tiny inconsistency. Just remember, if you're 5'11" tall it's clear to just about everyone that you're not 6'!!!

[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]...the card Thomas used is our current reference--and it's more than ample for showcasing the differences between these boards.[/citation]

Could you clarify that a bit Chris? Are you saying you would not expect any difference in crossfire between the MBs? If so, that's OK. However, if there's going to be a difference, that is the main reason to buy a 790FX. If you aren't going to crossfire might as well get a GX.

I suspect the chipset isn't the whole story and the various manufacturers could still screw up the PCI-E voltages or something :p

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Prox,

It depends on the numbers you're looking for. I interpreted the OP's request to mean he wanted performance results with 4870 X2s, which are overkill for comparing these boards. If it's a matter of comparing PCI Express scaling (the reason for going FX instead of GX), check out this piece: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-pci-express,2095.html. It isn't on the AMD platforms, but it still illustrates fairly well how much/little performance you'd lose with PCIe 2.0 x8 vs. x16.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
i think comparing dual gpu and single gpu would be a great idea... there could be inconsistency between the motherboards at crossfire setting... i mean u did test using 2 ram and 4 ram rite... and there's a difference in performance... hope this makes sense.. and yeah it's also bout the beastly impact and stuff... ;)

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I think that a quad crossfire would be of interest to a motherboard review. Just to answer questions like: Are two 4870X2 better then 4 x 4870 or 4890 or 4850? Does the PCIe pathways bottleneck (if it happens) the GPUs when running in 8x mode? How about the stability of the system with 4 physical cards instead of 2 or just 1 ... and so on.

Granted my request isn't based on the real needs of the consumer, it's more of a scientific curiosity behind it. But I remember a while back tom's had an article about nvidia's SLI with 2, 3 or 4 cards in different configurations and that was an interesting read.

PS: Just to clear something up in the 2 x 4870X2 vs. 4 x 4870 or other versions. I know that 4x4870 are more $$ then 2x4870X2 but if you buy a 4 slot PCIe motherboard what if you start out with a single 4870 or 4890 and just add in cards over the period of a year since prices change and people might not have all the cash to get 4 cards at the same time.

G

They are using a 260 for the video card. Will these boards SLI as well as Crossfire?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, basically these guys want an article that would have taken another day or two to write, and a thick stack of video cards so they could see the performance differences between 2x 4870X2's, 4x 4870's, and then perhaps any combination of 4870's and an 8800gt thrown in the mix for physiX. :p

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I just question why you would buy a board for AMD's spider platform,,then use a Nvidia product?? seems kinda weird to me,, if i was buying something "high end", I'm not going to buy an accessory whether it works properly or not from a competitor to complement it. I would have liked to at least see the comparison using AMD products.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]If you want to see quad-CrossFire for any specific reason, feel free to let us know and we can put together a story idea![/citation]

"We guys" just made a suggestion since Chris stated he's opened to ideas. The asrock X58 article a few days back is another good example of a story that can be looked at from a more technical perspective. Since that board and these two AMD ones share 4 PCIe ports and ATI & Nvidia cards support ATI STREA/CUDA one would be inclined to have a look beyond the "can it run crysis" comment. And I'm sure finding 4 identical cards isn't an issues since the time that takes to right an article wasn't up for debate.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
When there is a comparison between different motherboards, I would say that differences in performance is not really important (1.6%) to know for most of people. I would like to see e.g. overclocking capabilities - how far can different motherboards go with the same selected CPU, overheating - measurements of temperatures of ambient, over MB, close to northbridge and other heating chips, etc. I mean presented comparison is not bad, there is a value in some graphs. But maybe small adjustment of the benchmarks towards the motherboards and not using the same types as for CPU/GPU benchmarking would be more interesting.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Proximon[/nom]Could you clarify that a bit Chris? Are you saying you would not expect any difference in crossfire between the MBs? If so, that's OK. However, if there's going to be a difference, that is the main reason to buy a 790FX. If you aren't going to crossfire might as well get a GX.I suspect the chipset isn't the whole story and the various manufacturers could still screw up the PCI-E voltages or something[/citation]

Some chipsets support SLI, others Crossfire, based on drivers more than anything else. As far as chipset-to-GPU brand matching, at least it doesn't matter with single cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/chipset-gpu-matching-matter,1577.html

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]MonkeySweat[/nom]I just question why you would buy a board for AMD's spider platform,,then use a Nvidia product?? seems kinda weird to me,, if i was buying something "high end", I'm not going to buy an accessory whether it works properly or not from a competitor to complement it. I would have liked to at least see the comparison using AMD products.[/citation]

What an original idea... But don't expect it, here. Nor should you bother asking for it again. I've asked that quite a few times and all I ever get is a "it doesn't matter" type of answer from TH staff whenever I do. But, when you ask AMD/ATI users, many of them want to see it done, if even only to prove that "it doesn't matter."

Status
Not open for further replies.