Roundup: Four Gaming Cases Under $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Good article. But I'm a little surprised that the Element actually found the Buy award. Usually seems like that's set aside for superior products that don't have the QC issues this did.

I'm sure there will be request for this case and that and across a lot of price ranges.

If you do enough of these, you could do a "Best Gaming Case for the Money" series. Or is that peeing in Don's yard?

bk641

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
the lancool (lian-li) k62 is a very, very good case for a sub $100 range. i'm using one, and it has pretty much everything you'd want in a mid-tower case. i especially like its HDD bay system, which can be configured to have the hard drives straight on, or perpendicular. in addition to that there are four quiet fans (two on top) and room for two 5870s.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]sarsoft[/nom]No Antec Nine Hundred case...[/citation]
No OLD cases. The Cooler Master case ended up in here by mistake, it was supposed to be for stuff released from November onward.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]bk641[/nom]the cm doesn't have a fan control option, afaik.[/citation]Scroll up and look at the BIG KNOB in the picture maybe?[citation][nom]4ILY45[/nom]No CM 690 II??[/citation]Got the CM Storm Sniper instead, was looking for 4-8 cases due to time constraints which means one per company.[citation][nom]Tekkie9[/nom]Gosh, that Zalman is butt-ugly.[/citation]And the NZXT isn't?[citation][nom]sarsoft[/nom]More cases need to be added. There are other case under $150 that are better choices.[/citation]More companies were contacted. Every major brand who released a case between the end of November and the end of January was contacted. These are the ones Tom's Hardware got...most of the older-yet-popular cases have already been reviewed.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006

Fair enough.

While the lack of connector on the side fan of the Thermaltake chassis is a bummer and you painted it as such, you don't necessarily have to get a replacement from the factory. From the looks of it, it still uses the same 3 leads that standard fans do - an 11 year-old with a soldering iron could get any given fan to run off it.
I could, of course, be mistaken. There is only one picture of it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, the connector was not removed to show the back side but anyone with wiring skills could wire the original connector to a generic replacement fan.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It was a tough call. Compared to the other cases it's an incredible value, but only when the side fan works. Hopefully if Thermaltake sells enough of these and is forced to replace enough of these, they will eventually solve the problem at the manufacturing level!

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
ugly, big, expensive ... describes all of the cases :)

cannot help myself, but there's no case that would pass for a decent gaming case ... they are either ugly, have too many lights or too much wasted space or bad airflow.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]haplo602[/nom]ugly, big, expensive ... describes all of the cases :)cannot help myself, but there's no case that would pass for a decent gaming case ... they are either ugly, have too many lights or too much wasted space or bad airflow.[/citation]

The NZXT is tiny...and both Cooler Master and Thermaltake let you shut off the lights from the fan controller. IMO the big cases are too big, the small cases are too small, and if you're right about the looks than I guess you're not in their target market.

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Got the CM Storm Sniper instead, was looking for 4-8 cases due to time constraints which means one per company.[/citation]

That's understandable.. anyhow cheers..

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I understand that this review was for recently released cases (post Nov '09). However, I for one would find it helpful if you just added a small direct comparison between the previous winner and the winner of this article with a link to the previous case's full review. Then the overall winner (previous V current) can be rolled over to the next group review.

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]I understand that this review was for recently released case (post Nov '09) However, I for one would find it helpful if you just added a small direct comparison between the previous winner and the winner of this article with a link to the previous case's full review. Then the overall winner (previous V current) can be rolled over to the next group review.[/citation]Good idea. IMO, new product reviews should always have the data of the winner of the last roundup comparison in the article. It would make the article more complete and show us if the new cases are making any advancements over the previous roundups. Solid article though and it swayed my direction on the case for my next build, seeing as how I'm not one of the richer types and I have to buy with value/performance in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.