Roundup: Nine GeForce GTX 460 1 GB Boards Benchmarked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]thestealthyone[/nom]I really am a fan of ASUS' DirectCu/TOP cards.I can't decide between the 460 and 5850 versions[/citation]

Asus is the worst maker of computer parts I have ever seen with Gigabyte. Both aren't able to design a proper product.

My G73jh-A1 is the worst buy of my life! Let's say that their 4850 TOP solution is also badly designed and they can't be in crossfire without adding an insane amount of cooling.

gokulpanchal

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I really m a big fan of XFX cards but now XFX not making Nvidia Cards, Asus and MSI are the next choice.

I really love the fact that Nvidia are back in the game regardless of the lackluster start of the Fermi series. GTX 460 is a great value card and when in SLI it proves to be 50-60 percent performance increase. I have always been a fan of Nvidia, their cards are not only useful in gaming but also has a greater support with graphical applications like photoshop and 3d softwares like 3Dsmax, Many.

kisshell2

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
WTH is Galaxy card!
I have a galaxy card but it doesn't have high temp and noise level as suggested by other reviews. I was waiting for this review by tom's but it didn't help. All in all, GTX 460 is awesome.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I have to admit that the gtx 460 is definitely my favorite card out there right now... I love the fact that Nvidia has gotten competitive with their prices...

Adroid

Distinguished
Worth noting that there is a Full 1 FPS difference between most of the better cards.. I think EVGA's lifetime warranty, and overclocking coverage is worth the money..

NagromNniuq

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
Very nice article.

I am beginning to look for a replacement for my 8800GT (probably the greatest video card of all time, in terms of price for performance).

I am looking forward to seeing (hopefully) a Q4 video card roundup chart.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]hundredislandsboy[/nom]Good article. Just a suggestion but next time include one card lower on the ladder (GTX 260?) so users can see how much perfromance gain there is if they upgrade to those tested and then include in the benchmarks a card higher on the performance ladder (GTX 470 or HD 5850?)...[/citation]

Or you could just look at the GPU charts to make any comparisons needed to this article.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Emperus[/nom]How safe is it to get the cheapest out of the lot.? Very safe i guess.. How much value is it to get the costliest.? Pretty good i guess.. So the consumer is basically safe with any choice made.. That's always a good thing.. This just may be one of those cases where one can pick a card more based on its aesthetics.. Nice huh..[/citation]

Having had 2 video cards fail in a little over a year each, one in warranty and one not, I'd say at least a 2 year warranty is worth the investment. 3 is what I'd personally consider a minimum, because I often relegate my video card to a lower end system that is still being used 3 years from the time I bought it.

The length of warranty is a sign of the manufacturer's commitment to quality. It costs a chunk of change to have to repair or replace a video card for someone, and the longer a company is willing to gamble that they won't have to do that, the more likely it is the item won't fail. Simple business logic. Of course, one could say that if you charge enough people an extra $20 then you can make more money even if your card isn't any more reliable, but in that case the company still pays for it, sans shipping costs one way, which is way cheaper than buying another card. For a video card costing $200 or more, an extra $20 is way worth it for a lifetime warranty, for me.

;)

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
You can adjust the voltage on the MSI 460GTX card.

You should have at least overclocked the cards to the same clock speeds and then tested. There are already a couple articles out that test the different brands for the 460. Overclocking each card equal to the Palit would have been something new to see.

Another welcome addition would be to make an article on OCing 2 460's in SLI (atleast 850-900 mhz core clock) and comparing them to Reference 470s in SLI and overclocked 5850s and 5870s in crossfire.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]The chart has no video memory list and I notice the Palit sonic on newegg is a 2GB GDDR5. Guess the extra memory is giving it a bit of an advantage. Nice card and 2 year warranty.[/citation]It's in the title, these were all 1GB cards, and GTX 460 use GDDR5.[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Having had 2 video cards fail in a little over a year each, one in warranty and one not, I'd say at least a 2 year warranty is worth the investment. 3 is what I'd personally consider a minimum, because I often relegate my video card to a lower end system that is still being used 3 years from the time I bought it.The length of warranty is a sign of the manufacturer's commitment to quality. It costs a chunk of change to have to repair or replace a video card for someone, and the longer a company is willing to gamble that they won't have to do that, the more likely it is the item won't fail. Simple business logic. Of course, one could say that if you charge enough people an extra $20 then you can make more money even if your card isn't any more reliable, but in that case the company still pays for it, sans shipping costs one way, which is way cheaper than buying another card. For a video card costing $200 or more, an extra $20 is way worth it for a lifetime warranty, for me.[/citation]I'd say a lifetime warranty is worth almost exactly $20 over a 3-year warranty.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Anyone want to grab a 460 should go with the brand that offers the best support in his/her area, another thing to consider is the cooler. In fact I find the idea of factory-overclocked cards are kind of stupid, they charge you extra money for something you can do by yourself and even if the price premium is not much, you'll have a higher risk of receiving a faulty piece, besides the binning process of some brands limited the overclocking headroom of their reference-clocked cards, which bad for us consumers:(

G

Most of the people who are thinking about buying one of these cards will undoubtedly upgrade every or every other year. A lifetime warranty for a 9800GT isn't going to matter that much for an individual by the time they get a GTX 480 unless they use more than one graphics card in their system. I think it's funny how THG tries to avoid stating that the Palit card gives you most potential buyers the best bang for the buck.

radiumburn

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I would like to have seen each manually overclocked to their individual max and see what differences we could see. Nice to see the spread with the different gpu and mem speeds.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]wishmaster12[/nom]I had a nvidia card once, i traded it for a ati card because the nvidia card was giving me headaches. seriously[/citation]

Thank you so much for sharing wish. We all were just positively dying to know that. Now I can die happy.

On topic; I. must. have. that. Jetway. Also surprised that Sapphire hasn't brought their awesome Vapor-X line to the 460s.

ismol

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
The fan in "auto" is configured in a very conservative way in the Gigabyte model, I think in order to be the quietest. With a custom fan configuration, mine never NEVER reaches 65ºC while the fan never stays between 55 and 65%. Only hearable if you stick your ear to the case.

I recommend it, after thinking about it for a long time, I choose it because its silence, quality and price. The rest of the features arent important. Who cares about the core clock, when the 95% percent of gtx460 users will use MSI afterburner, Rivatuner, etc?
Anyway, its true that you can not go wrong with any model

stratus9000

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Good article except for the conclusion. You gave readers the tools they need to make their own purchasing decision, but you didn't pick a winner of the roundup. I guess the Palit GPU won in all the benchmarks, but it would have been nice if you mentioned which card you would buy if you had $240-$250 burning a hole in your pocket. Thanks for the hard work on the article though. Saved me lots of time scouring through forum threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.