Roundup: Six Sub-$40 Performance CPU Coolers Compared

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NGCathey

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
What does top height and base height in the charts on the first page above refer to? Is "Top Height" the TOTAL height of unit or the total height above the motherboard once installed?

Thanks,
Clutter

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Deadstick50[/nom]Nice article till you failed to run these on an AMD processor, you tell us all about how they mount to the AMD socket and then dont test on AMD??WHY?BTW I'm running my AMD CPU overclocked by 25% on stock air.....so maybe the stock coolers arent as bad as everyone assumes??[/citation]

Which CPU? I remember some Intels from a few years ago that could OC around 50% on stock coolers. We don't care about them now, and telling us how a CPU that doesn't get particularly hot to begin with does well on a stock cooler doesn't help. I OC'd my X3 440 to 3.7GHz with the stock cooler, who cares? It doesn't relate to this article. Tell us about your experience with a stock cooler on the CPU in the article, so you are comparing apples to apples.

;)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Since I've been castigated for calling people out on dishonest posts, I can only say that the cooler tested in this article was as-described, and that the photo of the cooler's base backs up that description. The only way for both of us to be right is if Rosewill's supplier has horrific inconsistency...though I guess that's a possibility.[/citation]

You go man; call people out! brandenjaffri's post was rude, at best. He probably didn't even have the same cooler, if he wasn't just trolling.

If I had the same cooler and read this article, my conclusion would have been that the cooler I got was defective or Rosewill had improved their manufacturing, the last thing I would have thought was that Thomas Soderstrom was writing a "fluff" piece. As if! But then, I've read more than a few articles on Tomshardware, so have a pretty broad database to draw my conclusions from.

;)

brandenjaffri

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Since I've been castigated for calling people out on dishonest posts, I can only say that the cooler tested in this article was as-described, and that the photo of the cooler's base backs up that description. The only way for both of us to be right is if Rosewill's supplier has horrific inconsistency...though I guess that's a possibility.

well sir i apologize for being rude but the review of the rosewill cooler is indeed lacking some important info that could disuade someone from purchasing like the clip for amd setups is horribly flimsy and can be very frustrating if one does not use patients. second your picture cannot back up any inference on how flat the base is; u must measure with a flat edge and a feeler gauge a picture at an angle means nothing. i must admit i mis typed my first comment. i mean i purchased four different ones of the same model over 4 month period from newegg and yes i am sure of the model/type. all the bases were not flat at all; there was consistently a one mm difference betwixt the edges of the cooler and the center; without sanding the cooler ran 125f in a 70f room in an antec 300 case with gigabyte am3 890gx board(only one of its kind) and 440 rana x3 at stock voltage (1.35) after sanding the ihc and base of h/s it ran at 80f in a 70f room at idle. at load it ran 89f (measure ment by bios/edge of die). but the review was not written on amd setups but on an oc'ed intel. to recap; i recant my "fluff review" review. i am an avid reader of toms hardware and always will be. this site normaly does well on reviews; sometimes it does very well. with that being said toms is one of the best websites of the category.

brandenjaffri

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
[citation][nom]brandenjaffri[/nom]Since I've been castigated for calling people out on dishonest posts, I can only say that the cooler tested in this article was as-described, and that the photo of the cooler's base backs up that description. The only way for both of us to be right is if Rosewill's supplier has horrific inconsistency...though I guess that's a possibility.well sir i apologize for being rude but the review of the rosewill cooler is indeed lacking some important info that could disuade someone from purchasing like the clip for amd setups is horribly flimsy and can be very frustrating if one does not use patients. second your picture cannot back up any inference on how flat the base is; u must measure with a flat edge and a feeler gauge a picture at an angle means nothing. i must admit i mis typed my first comment. i mean i purchased four different ones of the same model over 4 month period from newegg and yes i am sure of the model/type. all the bases were not flat at all; there was consistently a one mm difference betwixt the edges of the cooler and the center; without sanding the cooler ran 125f in a 70f room in an antec 300 case with gigabyte am3 890gx board(only one of its kind) and 440 rana x3 at stock voltage (1.35) after sanding the ihc and base of h/s it ran at 80f in a 70f room at idle. at load it ran 89f (measure ment by bios/edge of die). but the review was not written on amd setups but on an oc'ed intel. to recap; i recant my "fluff review" review. i am an avid reader of toms hardware and always will be. this site normaly does well on reviews; sometimes it does very well. with that being said toms is one of the best websites of the category.[/citation]

i bought more than one; i also read many articles and compare my data to the data posted on this site; i do not draw conclusions with no basis. also i sometimes wonder if the reviews/data posted might somehow be tainted by advertising dollars and corporate sponsers!!! oh and it is exactly the same model!!!

Niko84

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Very good article.

I am looking for a replacement part for my i7-860 stock fan, which is presenting some problems. I would appreciate to get some recommendations from the readers, considering that:
- I do not overclock
- I would like something that did not require removing the motherboard

Thanks a lot.

ww2003

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
A review of the Hyper 212+ would be nice... Everone i talk with recommended it to me and i got it on order for my cooling needs.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
should have done the cooler master 110 series, it was 25 bucks and it keeps my phenom ii x3 720 @ 3.4ghz under 50 degrees Celsius under full load

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Thank you so much for this review! I was having so much trouble deciding which cooler to but and you relieved a lot of pressure. 5 star review.

Status
Not open for further replies.