Roundup: The Best Overclocking Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting read although I doubt any real enthusiast would chose to overclock their system through software. Much easier to get a higher stable overclock through the BIOS.
Still, if you have a prebuilt machine with no BIOS overclocking functionality, some of this software is invaluable.

Spot on with RivaTuner and ATI Tool.
Both great apps for overclocking your GPU.

Good work trying to get the masses intrested in overclocking!

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]oulw6669[/nom]Much easier to get a higher stable overclock through the BIOS.[/citation]Strangely for me, the opposite was true. Windows would BSOD at 3.6GHz or higher on my E6600 even at 1.75V, yet it would be quite stable with much less voltage (although still alot more than most people would dare to try) if I OCed in Windows. I have no explanation for it. Perhaps somebody can explain this BSOD:

"The Cryptographic Subsystem has failed a mandatory algorithm self-test in bootstrap." (Error code 0x000000123)

Forget googling the error code, you'll only find me asking what that means and something else in Chinese.

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Randomizer,

I don't know if this will help, but I found a couple things regarding the Cryptographic Subsystem:

One article from IBM discusses it as part of their CPUs. The C.S. (Crypto Subsystem) on their chips runs at a certain clock speed.

I'm including the google cache for word reference as well as the original article:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:3hg9OcIMVpgJ:www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/435/vanhuben.html+Cryptographic+Subsystem+algorithm+self-test&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us)

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/435/vanhuben.html

Another thing I found was the detail of the C.S. in the patent which is "a secure subsystem to prevent unauthorized
replacement of a storage device containing a boot-up executable code by
establishing a secure path between a secure boot device and a host
processor based on an electronic keying mechanism"

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5937063/description.html

Maybe somehow the C.S. was affected by the O.C. to the boot device?

Only a theory, but I hope the information helps.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"We’ll end with a recommendation: it’s sometimes better to overclock via the BIOS setup program. This is true both because of effectiveness (some programs don’t display the frequencies well, for example) and because of operating system choice (the majority of the programs we’ve mentioned are only for Windows)."

There are advantages to overclocking from windows too actually. Other than being lazy that is.
When you're booting your system at an overclocked state, chances are your vrm's can't keep up at powerup for some reason I don't know. So your oc will fail. That I assume is the reason that gigabyte boards shutdown and restart when changing such settings - to avoid the problem.
If you oc from windows, the changes being made are significantly less than from 0 to preset.

Regarding the programs - I have some comments on them. They might be brilliant in some situations, but they don't nessecarily work.
For instance on my work pc, a hp dc7800 with an e6750, setfsb can only read the fsb, it can't set it - no matter which of the 3 types I tried (mmt, slp and the other one). I suspect hp deliberately did something to prevent it from working. So on oem systems you may not find the solution you were looking for in software.
And atitool didn't work very well with my 8800gtx. It could set the gpu and mem speed, but the artefact check isn't able to figure out if the shader speed is too high. So even though it'd run 20 minutes scanning for artefacts in atitool, a 3dmark test would crash at the nature scene when the lights were rendered. So don't rely on the button to automaticly find the best frequency if the shader is linked to the gpu speed.

ps. on all ati hd48x0 cards I've seen so far, the max gpu setting available in overdrive (790 or so) seemed stable - no need to run the check :)

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
OC that has trouble at bootup can't survive prime95 anyway. Software oc in Windows simply bypass the bootup by oc once it's already in Windows. It's bypassing the problem, not solving it. The oc is still unstable. For a solid oc, bios > software.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
When I purchased my first Motherboard back in 2006 (for the previous 6 years, I had been using a custom-built Alienware, and before that, a Compaq laptop, and before that, a Pentium 166 my dad put together, and before that, and Mac II Se), I didn't understand the point of software overclocking, especially since I had to redo the overclocking every time my machine started up. To me overclocking was changing the FSB jumper from 1x to 1.5x or, if I dared, 2x.

Besides things like cool'n'quiet and whatever Intels version is (Speedstep?), why would chipset manufacturers even open-up software interfaces for overclocking, when for so many years they were completely against it? Now days anyone can click the "+" in Gigabytes Overdrive and gain a few extra percent. Must make it hard to sell processors in granularities of a couple hundred MHz when you can overcome that through software without any changes to voltage or mupltipliers.

Anyway, good article. Its nice to see the 3rd-party software that can be used, especially if you have no options from the hardware vendor.

G

one other thing about software overclocks. you can oc just when you need it (playing crysis) and set it back to stock speed (or even lower) when doing something not cpu intensive. kinda like poor mans' speed step. thats how i oc my 2.6 ghz p4 northwood in my (very modded) compaq

guyladouche

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Strangely for me, the opposite was true. Windows would BSOD at 3.6GHz or higher on my E6600 even at 1.75V, yet it would be quite stable with much less voltage (although still alot more than most people would dare to try) if I OCed in Windows. I have no explanation for it. Perhaps somebody can explain this BSOD:"The Cryptographic Subsystem has failed a mandatory algorithm self-test in bootstrap." (Error code 0x000000123)Forget googling the error code, you'll only find me asking what that means and something else in Chinese.[/citation]

My guess is this--your FSB chipset has different timings/subtimings (like ram does) that are invoked when setting the FSB in the BIOS depending on what frequency is set, and these are referred to as "strappings" (I don't know exactly why, but the reference to "bootstrap" in your error code makes me think this is referring to these "strappings")--some timings/subtimings that work at one frequency (one strapping) are too tight for higher frequencies (in another strapping), so as the FSB is changed in the BIOS, a new strapping is used for the new FSB--it might be that when OC'ing your CPU in the BIOS, you got into a regime in your FSB where the timings just don't mesh well for whatever reason (like there's no good set of timings on the FSB), and some errors are encountered relating to the strapping, spitting out that error code. When you OC in windows, the strapping for the FSB initially set in the BIOS is used, regardless of how the FSB is changed in the software (i.e. the timings of the FSB chipset are not changed at all when increasing the FSB in the software since the FSB was not changed in the BIOS at all)--my guess is that the strapping corresponding to the FSB in the BIOS just happens to work better for your clocks, which is counter-intuitive to me, but then again, nothing works exactly like you'd expect... That's my best guess...

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]I would NEVER recommend OCing Through Windows[/citation]
+1, but I would change this to "I would NEVER recommend CPU OCing Through Windows". RivaTuner is a Godsend for GPU tweaking.

wkcar

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Good to see a review of overclocking software. Many OEM companies lock down their BIOS so software is the only alternative. I've used SetFSB on my dell laptop to bump up the motherboard frequency from 100 mhz to 120 mhz and ATItool to OC my card ~30%. It doesn't matter what you overclock, just keep the temperatures in check.

[citation][nom]homerdog[/nom]+1, but I would change this to "I would NEVER recommend CPU OCing Through Windows". RivaTuner is a Godsend for GPU tweaking.[/citation]
:lol: True. Totally forgot about ATITool/Riva. Too bad I can't edit it.

G

I use RMClock or Crystalcpuid to overclock within Windows, automatically, my AMD dual and single core CPUs, and I have founded GREAT those tools. The same for ATItool, great program to under/overclock my video boards automatically on 2D or 3D loads. Never a complaint or instability or so, once you have tuned the right parameter those tools rocks! Especially if you well tune some parameter in motherboard Bios (memory and buses clock, multipliers) with RMClock or Crystalcpuid you may obtain a very powerful machine, when power is needed, and a very quiet and power bill saver machine on low workloads, automatically.

chiadog

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
@P2B picture's caption.
Spot on! When I saw the picture, I immediately recognized it :D Warm fuzzy memories of yesteryears. I remember pulling apart the SECC package and jerry rigging a cooler then zip tying a 80mm fan to cool the processor. Wasn't pretty but it worked!

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I actually think that OC with software is a cool idea. It is easier to use than going in and out of the bios numerous times and you can overclock as needed.

I personally don't OC my system because my AM2 6000+ is pretty much at its limits running stock. But if I were to overclock I would certainly give a software OC tool a try.

I remember switching the jumpers on my Shuttle board to make my K6-2 go from 400 mhz to 450 mhz.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
+1 for outlaw and shadow...

I found this article rather redundant. I can see the use for people that are just starting out, but please make sure you READ ALOT of material before doing anything to do with overclocking.

garyf919

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I'm still waiting to see if I should start trying to learn/start O/C at all!? There still is no response to my question about whether any of this O/C software will O/C a Dell machine. I know it cant be done from the BIOS, but what about these windows O/C programs described in this article. Should I bother or no? Everybody has to start somewhere. I have a 2.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo system that is about 2 1/2 years old.

G

ok how can i overclock my DELL Optiplex GX 150 it's 1ghz. with 256 Ram. is there a software that can make my PC Overclock it self? and my bios has CPU and RAM but i can't click on it yet?

but can you help me?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]00101010[/nom]*Snip*[/citation]
Thanks for the links.

[citation][nom]guyladouche[/nom]*Snip*[/citation]
An interesting point you bring up. The P965 chipset (which is what I'm using) changes from the 1066MHz strap to another strap (I'd assume 1600MHz) at 400FSB. There is no strap change at 333MHz, which is why the chipset has an FSB hole from ~350-399FSB as the timings are too tight.

When I OCed in Windows, I set my FSB in the BIOS to 342MHz, just under the FSB hole, and then proceeded to go straight to 400MHz using abit uGuru (most programs don't support the uGuru clockgen). AFAIK, it would lock up if I set it somewhere in the FSB hole. This doesn't seem to make sense if the strap doesn't change in realtime, since it works over 399FSB which gives the indication that the strap did change otherwise it should have locked up or rebooted at such a speed.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
EVGA Precision FTW. ATItool is incompatible with new nvidia drivers, and rivatuner is bloated with lots of stupid windows and tabs. precision does everything rivatuner does in a single, uncomplicated window.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]dagger[/nom]OC that has trouble at bootup can't survive prime95 anyway. Software oc in Windows simply bypass the bootup by oc once it's already in Windows. It's bypassing the problem, not solving it. The oc is still unstable. For a solid oc, bios > software.[/citation]
Not nessecarily true, and I think you know that. Just because the vrm is too slow/weak to feed adequate power to your processor at a hard boot doesn't mean it'll be too weak to adjust to load once it is booted. In short - you may not have a stable oc with software oc that you wouldn't have with hardware oc, but if you've got a lowend motherboard you may be able to boot and have a stable oc (with software oc) while being unable to boot at all otherwise.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
One thing I liked about ATI Tray Tools (when I used it with an
X1950Pro) was the ability to memorise the desktop icons layout.
When a game barfed, it was great to be able to restore the icon
positions so easily. Can Riva Tuner do this? If not, is it
possible on an NVIDIA system (I now have an 8800GT with a new
mbd) to use ATI Tray Tools _just_ as a way of being able to
restore desktop icon positions?

I agree with the earlier poster about Riva Tuner though, I don't
like it's overly heavy GUI/tab interface. Much prefer the way
ATI Tray Tools works.

Incidentally, does anyone here have a newer Gigabyte NVIDIA
board? I have the Zalman 8800GT (700MHz core with the Zalman
cooler). Just wondered if people reckon Riva Tuner is a better
way of oc'ing Gigabyte cards than Gigabyte's own HUD program.
Can Riva Tuner boost the core voltage on such cards? Some users
have been able to reach 800MHz core using the HUD with the GPU
voltage set to 1.3, though in my case the HUD limits it to 1.2V.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.