[SOLVED] Router as bridge or dedicated wireless APs?

kkothamasu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
We currently have FIOS at our townhouse but the ONT is setup in the basement and the WiFi signal from the FIOS router is terrible. I'm using a MoCa Ethernet over Coax adapter to get a hard wired connection on the second floor and have a Nighthawk X6 R8000 setup as a Wireless AP. Things were working ok with this setup except for the Nighthawk router is now causing major issues. I'm losing signal, password won't work and intermittent connections issues causing me to change from 5.1 to 5.2 and back from time to time. Either way from what I understand the X6 doesn't do great as a wireless AP and was able to get Netgear to send me a replacement for the issues I'm having.

I'm trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and buy a different router that doesn't have the issues that the Nighthawk has been having or should I invest something like Ubiquiti access points? I have multiple MoCa adapters so the plan would be to buy a few of these APs and connect them using the MoCa adapters on the 2nd and 3rd floor since I can't run ethernet, Any thoughts on what work best? Also, with the APs would I need a switch of some sort to manage them and if so, how would that work with my setup (using the MoCa adapters)?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you have ethernet on each floor (using the adapters) then yes you could hang APs on them using the supplied PoE injectors to power them. The Ubiquiti kit comes highly recommended on these forums.

kkothamasu

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
If you have ethernet on each floor (using the adapters) then yes you could hang APs on them using the supplied PoE injectors to power them. The Ubiquiti kit comes highly recommended on these forums.
Thanks! I know there's a few kits out there and some are meant more for experienced users, is there a kit you'd recommend for someone that's a novice? Also, I have 3 of the google WiFi pucks that I originally had setup as a mesh at my old house and the performance was terrible, any thoughts on using them as APs instead?

Last edited:
As fair as I'm aware they cannot be used as APs. The Ubiquiti AC lites are pretty simple to set up. Connect them to your network, Download the software and configure your options (SSIDs and security) They can then either be centrally managed using their cloud key (I believe this will require a powered switch port) or set up and forget using a laptop/PC.